The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 8:34am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
modelling fractional delays in SIMULINK for continuous-time delta-sigma (Read 3265 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

modelling fractional delays in SIMULINK for continuous-time delta-sigma
Jul 25th, 2008, 4:59am

Hi All,

I am trying to model a fractional delay (0.5 sample) in my CT delta-sigma to account for the delay in the comparator, when making a SIMULINK model. The approach followed is similar to that in the paper by Mitteregger et al., JSSC, Dec. 2006.

The CT blocks are modelled with a sample time of 0.01, the quantizer with sample time of 1, and the delay of the comparator = 0.5 samples, the DAC is modelled with a zero-order hold (ZOH) with sample time = 1.

SIMULINK tells me to insert rate conversion blocks around the quantizer, and also between the quantizer and the comparator delay, and between the ZOH and the 0.5 sample delay. When I do this, I find that the rate conversion blocks behave as if they had a delay, which destabilizes my modulator entirely, as there is more delay than accounted for in the feedback path now.

Is there a better way to model this? I am planning to build a model in Verilog-A now but the simulation speed with SIMULINK would be much higher, and so would be the ability to use various MATLAB features.

Thanks
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.