The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 2:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PSS/PNoise AM/PM Conversion Discrepancy in LC VCO (Read 1835 times)
paidian

PSS/PNoise AM/PM Conversion Discrepancy in LC VCO
Jul 27th, 2008, 2:06pm

Ken,

Let me rephrase the question for better clarity. I ran two pnoise sims, with a simplified generic NMOS LC VCO. The gm pair was replaced with an ideal -ve R using a VCCS. Tank has ideal L, ideal fixed C, and a non-ideal varactor across tank to capture the analog Kv of the VCO.

The 2 cases were:
1. Simulation with noise from a 1MOhm resistor injected into the tuning line using a VCVS. The resistor is not noiseless.
2. Same as (1), except with a 100fF included in parallel with the 1MOhm, giving a corner of about 1.7MHz for noise injected into the tuning line.

Expected Results: (1) and (2) have the same phase noise profile, up to the 1.7MHz offset. Beyond this frequency offset, (2) should have lower phase noise than (1) due to the roll-off in the injected noise.

Observed Results: The phase noise profile of (2) is same as (1), but shifted down by 22dB. The noise of (2) is much less than calculated, using the narrow band FM approximation from the Vtune line to the VCO frequency.

This is troubling as the noise injected within the bandwidth of the 1.7MHz pole is seeing different transfer functions in the two cases. I can't think of how noise at, say, 200kHz would change as a result of adding that 1.7MHz pole. The PNOISE sim result does not make sense in this regard.

Thank you in advance for your response,
paidian

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.