The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 3:28pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Combining the digital outs of a pipeline ADC (Read 1662 times)
thomasross20

Combining the digital outs of a pipeline ADC
Aug 08th, 2008, 2:02am

Hi, I'm new to the site.

I'm currently creating a 10-b pipeline ADC using digital error correction (of course!) but am not 100% sure on how to combine the digital outs from each stage.

I am using the typical method, which is to take the MSB of the first stage, then add the LSB of the first stage and the MSB of the second stage, add the LSB of the second stage to the LSB of the third stage, and so on. This seems to work quite well, though to be perfectly honest, I am not so hot on WHY this works at all! I have read various papers and descriptions in books such as CMOS Data Coverters for Comms and Jacob Baker's books, but found it quite confusing.

My main issue is how to combine the last few bits, i.e. from the 8th pipeline stage and the 2 bits from the flash at the backend. The 8th pipeline stage is like the others; there are decision levels at +- Vref/4, but the flash is split up over the range equally into 4 segments. What I am currently doing is adding the LSB of the 8th stage to the MSB of the flash, and then using the LSB of the flash as the LSB of the entire converter. Is this the right thing to do? It's a bit hit and miss and if anybody could explain......?? There must be a simple explanation.

I've created a verilog-a model of the pipeline, but the flash outputs look a little dodgy. They depend on the output residue of the 8th stage and the time that this is not always 'equal' (the time it's high is not always the same as the time it is low for a ramp input to the ADC), meaning the flash outputs are not evenly spaced. I input a ramp to the ADC and look at the digital outs. But it only seems to work well if this is a slow ramp (if the ramp is fast, the LSB toggles when the residue goes from high to low or vice versa... and since this is not every clock cycle, the LSB pulses can be larger than some of the other pulses, so it doesn't 'count' properly up the ramp). Perhaps I can explain that better if it's not been understood.

Anyway, thanks for any help! Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Combining the digital outs of a pipeline ADC
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2008, 3:08am

Hi,

The gain of each pipeline stage = 2 in your case.

Since you are using digital redundancy, there is no clipping in the residue transfer curve => your pipeline stage is piecewise-linear.

This means that the digital output represents the analog residue of each stage.

To combine the outputs correctly, just consider each digital output from each stage as 1 digital word D,
then multiply it by 2, add the output from the next conversion to this, multiply the result by 2, add the next, and so on...

Bfinal = D_1*2^n + D_2*(n-1) + D_3*2^(n-2) + ....where D_1 is the result from the MSB, and 'n' is the number of steps.

Does that help you? If not, then you need to understand the underlying algorithm, make a simple MATLAB model, add offsets to the comparator thresholds which are small enough not to move the residue out of the valid input range, and simulate to see how the algorithm works for you. Otherwise, read the papers again.

Hope that helps.
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
thomasross20

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2008, 3:23am

Thanks for your reply.

I understand what you say, but perhaps I didn't make my question clear enough (sorry!). It's the combining of the bits that I'm unclear about, especially at the end with the flash. Is it the correct thing to do by adding the LSB of the eight stage to the MSB of the flash to get the 9th bit, and then taking the LSB of the flash as the LSB (10th bit) of the entire converter?
I find this confusing since the 1.5b stages split the range into -Vref to -Vref/4, -Vref/4 to Vref/4, and Vref/4 to Vref. However, the 2-b flash splits the range up equally, so can the LSB of the last 1.5-b stage be added to the flash MSB?

I understand about the residue and the offset the comparators can have (+- Vref/4), and that this introduces some redundancy. I've been doing this for a while now and have yet to find literature which gives a simple (or mathematical) explanation about the recombining of bits; I find it very confusing!

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2008, 3:42am

Yes! It should be the same way if I understand you correctly. As for references, I think there is a paper by Steve Lewis (probably with some other authors), where he demonstrates how to do this combination. If I remember correctly, he assumes 1 stage with redundancy (2 comparators at +/- Vref/4), and a second stage with no redundancy (so 3 comparators at +/- Vref/2 and 0), and shows how it works. By the way, the second stage in that calculation has no offsets, However, it has been years since I read that paper, and I only remember that Lewis is one of the authors.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
thomasross20

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2008, 3:45am

Yes, the Stephen Lewis paper, I have that saved somewhere. I will read it again and try to get my head round all of this. Thanks for your help, it is re-assuring to know that I am doing it the correct way, and so now I just have to sort out my other problems! Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
thomasross20

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2008, 3:55am

I should add... as I tried to explain in the first case. If the flash operates on the last residue from the 8th 1.5b stage.... the counts will depend on how 'even' or 'clean' the residue is. One problem I'm seeing is that the residue doesn't output entirely evenly (it may be higher slightly longer than it is lower) for an input ramp to the ADC. Thus, those LSBs are not of the same width and it is not an ideal count, since the levels are not split up evenly. I think maybe this could be a problem with something else, and perhaps the residue should be 'even'. Back to the drawing board.

EDIT - I've just dug out the two Lewis papers on the subject and he talks about a correction circuit, but shows no implementation. Guess he left that for others to figure out Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
imd1

Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2008, 4:18am

thomasross20 wrote on Aug 8th, 2008, 3:55am:
EDIT - I've just dug out the two Lewis papers on the subject and he talks about a correction circuit, but shows no implementation. Guess he left that for others to figure out Wink

He shows it in his PhD thesis... He "forgot" to put this key detail in his papers, i suppose.

BTW, Lewis proposal is not the one you are probably using. The most frequent implementation uses 2 comparators (set at +-Vref/4 for 1.5 bit stages) and RSD encoded levels, and was introduced by Jespers, Ginetti.

View Profile   IP Logged
thomasross20

Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2008, 4:23am

Do you have a link to his thesis?
Ah yes, I use two comparators with the +-Vref/4 levels. Jespers, Ginetti........... I can't say I've seen their papers. Is there one in particular which deals with this topic that you could reccomend? Thanks so much, much appreciated!!

EDIT - I have just found: A CMOS 13-b Cyclic RSD A/D Converter
I'll give it a read, thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2008, 1:44am

you might find my tutorial on modeling one of these at BMAS helpful..

BTW its NOT Digital Correction.. As Boris Murman would say.. you are just re-aligning and adding up the outputs bits.. Nothing "wrong" nothing "Corrected"  

Its not easy to get ones head around the first time..
the bmas website is at http://www.bmas-conf.org
See the Archives section for 2001
the tutorial lists a lot of the papers (available on IEEE Xplore) that
are associated with this topic.. of course simple google scholar search will find many of them for you too!

jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.