The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 9:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
using offset to move idle tones in audio delta-sigma modulators (Read 2573 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

using offset to move idle tones in audio delta-sigma modulators
Aug 08th, 2008, 3:01am

Hi All,

I would like to know if there is a generic method for predicting the tone location based on the offset level at input for a delta-sigma modulator.

I remember having read somewhere a formula like: f_tone = (offset/fullscale_voltage)*f_clk

However, I don't remember where and so I am not sure what assumptions led up to this equation, and if it is really valid, and for an arbitrary delta-sigma modulator.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: using offset to move idle tones in audio delta-sigma modulators
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2008, 7:45am

Hi Vivek,

I remember the modulator output (binary quantizer, +/-1 levels) for a dc input will generate tones located at:

lx' + k

where x'=(x-Y')/Δ; Y' being the adjacent quantization level to x and Δ the quantizer step size and with l and k being integers.

Further details can be found in "Oversampling methodsfor A/Dand D/A conversion"J. Candy & G.Temes, but unfortunately I do not recall the date for this reference.

See also " Spectral analysis of quantization noise in a single loop sigma delta modulator with dc input" R.M. Gray IEEE. Tran Comm. Jun 1989

Hope this helps
Regards

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: using offset to move idle tones in audio delta-sigma modulators
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2008, 1:02am

Hi Tosei,

Thanks a lot. I will also check the references you mention.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.