The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 11:34am
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
passive mixer linearity (Read 21896 times)
kelly
Community Member

Re: passive mixer linearity
Reply #15 - Feb 10th, 2011, 10:42am

Hi RFICDUDE,

It's 50% duty cycle and down conversion voltage mode mixer.  There is no LC tank on the RF side.  RF side  (matched to 50ohms with real resistors) goes off chip to an attenuator, balum, and a saw.  IF side goes to the gates of an on chip VGA.  I plan to have some caps (~5p) at the mixer output (VGA input) just to have some light filtering.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #16 - Feb 10th, 2011, 5:55pm

Hmmm, if it is double balanced and 50% duty cycle LO then I'm not sure why there is excessive LO leakage.

By "DCD" do you mean duty cycle or is this some reference to DC gate bias relative to the LO swing (I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "DCD on the LO")?

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #17 - Feb 10th, 2011, 6:36pm

Hi RFICDUDE,

DCD means duty cycle distortion on the LO, sorry about not being clear about that.  

The way is see it is that the DCD of the LO waveform, produce a DC offset of the LO port, therefore, causes the RF feedthrough.  

With 0.5% DCD (49.5% duty cycle), I found that the DC of the differential LO is around 9mV.  So I put a DC offset of 10mV on one of the LO sides (with 50% duty cycle), the RF feedthrough is 30dB less that the 49.5% duty cycle with no offset applied.  I wouldn't expect that result.

Is the passive mixer somehow more sensitive to the DCD than just a pure DC offset on the LO?  Or I am looking at this wrong?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #18 - Feb 16th, 2011, 3:24am

I understand now.

If the fundamental of the LO is balanced, then you could AC couple the LO to the gates of the mixer devices and bring in a common mode gate bias voltage through high valued resistors. This should prevent DC offset on the LO drive from creating LO feedthrough.

You may still have some Vth mismatch, but it should be much less than 9mV of error.

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #19 - Feb 16th, 2011, 10:52pm

Hi RFICDude,

So I looked at the LO spectrum for 2 cases, LO offset =10mV and LO DCD =0.5%  

LO offset =10mV case (no DCD):
LO has a DC component of -40dBC, and odd harmonic LO (LO is a square wave)
RF feedthrough=-60dBc

LO DCD = 0.5% case (no addition offset):
LO has a DC component of -40dBC, now you have both even and odd harmonics of LO (ok, so I guess you get evens 'cause now it's not exactly 50% square wave?)
RF feedthrough=-40dBC (20dB bigger than jus the DC offset case)

So, do the even harmonics introduces addition offset that's why the RF feedthrough is much bigger in the DCD=0.5% case?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #20 - Feb 19th, 2011, 5:05am

For your results above, are the LO signals AC or DC coupled to the gates?

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2011, 5:09pm

Hi RFICDUDE,

It's DC.  So the LO goes from 0 to 1V at the gate of the switching devices, and the source/drain are biased 200mV above ground.

When I say I get RF feedthrough, I don't just get RF, I also get what I thought is LO-IF (reverse mixing) and all the higher order ones.  Now I think what I get is actually all the 2nLO+/-RF, eg, LO-IF=LO-(RF-LO)=2LO-RF.  

I tried it with the active mixer (which shouldn't have the everse mixing term), but I get the same thing when DCD=0.5% is applied.

Kelly

Kelly

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #22 - Feb 20th, 2011, 8:32am

Ok, then just AC couple LO and bring in a common mode bias. It should, at least, eliminate switching errors due to LO DCD.

Have you attempted to AC couple the LO?

Reverse mixing is a characteristic of passive mixers. I suppose it is a concern if there are emissions requirements at the mixer input.

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #23 - Feb 20th, 2011, 3:09pm

Hi RFICDUDE,

No, I haven't.  What switching error does AC couple eliminate? Is it just the DC, won't you still have a non-50% duty cycle after the AC couple?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #24 - Feb 20th, 2011, 7:38pm

You may benefit a lot from carrying out the analysis yourself.

The LO signal with DCD has some DC imbalance because of the DCD, but if you AC couple the LO then the DC imbalance is not passed on to the gates. Thus the LO DCD contribution to carrier feedthrough should be eliminated (i.e. you should be able to increase DCD without seeing a strong sensitivity to LO feedthrough).

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #25 - Feb 21st, 2011, 1:10am

hi RFICDUDE,

So I AC coupled the LO signal.  If I looked at the dft of LO before and after the AC, the DC component decrased by >30dB.  But the even harmonics are still present in both signals.  So as a result, I still get all the 2nLO+/-RF components at the IF outputs including RF for n=0.  

Do you expect the duty cycle distortion causes the even harmonics on the LO ?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #26 - Feb 21st, 2011, 5:34am

Hi Kelly,

can I confirm a few things with you?

1) this is a double-balanced design.

2) you have a square wave drive.

3) by 0.5% DCD, you mean that the positive LO is driven with 50.5% duty cycle, and the negative LO is driven with 49.5% duty cycle (or vice-versa).

In a double-balanced design, the DCD on the LO would cause a common-mode LO leakage to the RF ports, so I'm not sure if it would propagate to the IF ports (as a differential signal). In a single-balanced design, I would definitely expect to see all the tones that you are seeing with any DCD.

Also, I'm not so sure if your use of a DC offset to represent the DCD is correct. If it is a square wave, then the switches will take on only two states: ON or OFF. A 9 mV DC signal is not likely to have that much effect on whether a switch is ON or OFF (when it is driven by a large square wave). However, a change in the duty cycle directly affects how long the switch is ON/OFF.

I'm sorry if I have misunderstood your circuit. Perhaps it would be more clear with a schematic.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #27 - Feb 21st, 2011, 10:09am

Hi Aaron,

Yes, you understand the circuit correctly.  What you and RFICDUDE describing is what I expect to see but I don't from my simulations.  Maybe I am doing something wrong, just can't figure it out.  To answer your question,
1.  yes. I use vcvs to do the single to diff on both LO and RF.  This is just a single mixer,  no I/Q path.
2. yes.
3. yes.  specifically, I use a Vpulse source, the pulse width is 1/flo/2.02-rtime ( flo=lo frequency, rtime= rise time=fall time) for DCD=49.5.  It's 2 for 50% duty cycle.  I then use the two vcvs to do the single to diff for both LO ports.

I agreed with what you said about the LO/RF leakage.

I am not using DC offset to model DCD.  In fact, if I just use the DC offset=10mv , the RF feedthrough is not that much (as you pointed using the square wave) and there is no 2nLO+/-RF at the IF output.

I use the vpulse decribed above to model DCD and I see both DC and even harmonics tones on LO.  What I don't understand is why I am seeing all the 2nLO+/-RF on the IF output when I model the DCD the way I did.  

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #28 - Feb 21st, 2011, 10:12am

sorry when I say IF output I mean IFP-IFN, so it's a diff output

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #29 - Feb 21st, 2011, 12:29pm

Hi Kelly,

If i got this right, you have a double balanced mixer with complementary LO signals(call it LO+, LO-) driving the LO ports. When the duty cycle of LO+ and LO- are changed say to 50.5 and 49.5, you are seeing 2n.LO+RF?

I would absolutely expect to see even harmonics of LO for the above scenario; when LO+ and LO- are perfectly complementary, the DC and the even harmonics get cancelled out. When there is slight difference in duty cycles, there is incomplete cancellation of even harmonics and a direct RF feedthrough.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.