The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 5:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
two questions (Read 799 times)
tempora123

two questions
Sep 15th, 2008, 4:44am

Hello,

I have two issues and hope somebody can help me solve them.
1. After pss analysis, I choose in ADE: Results -> Direct Plot -> Main Form -> thd -> select a node in the schematic and get a plot of thd on that node. How can it be automated (I need an appropriate formula in corner analysis). When I run all corner simulations and do the same as above I get an error in ciw:
"*Error* awvfPlotDoubleWave: not a waveform - nil
*WARNING* geEcEventCB: An error occurred while applying 'geEcEventCB' to
apply('geEcEventCB '("directPlotForm" "newSelSet" (ptrnum@0xb5ca808) (133 t ((db:226645792 nil)))))"
I can't possibly run 1 corner at a time and repeat the clicks...

2. I have a Butterworth filter, Salen-Key topology with a cap inside the feedback loop.
I would like to simulate ac analysis for phase margin but I get wrong results in comparison with large signal (tran analysis) step response. I get PM of ~70deg in ac but in transient the overshoot looks like PM is 40-45deg at most. I cut the loop during ac just in front of the opamp (after the cap) so the miller multiplication doesn't apply in this case. I think that is why my results are wrong and my PM is bigger than in reality. Question is how to simulate ac then? What test bench to use to get a PM result corresponding to step response I see in tran?

Thank you for your help.
Regards,
L.S.

View Profile   IP Logged
Dipankar
Community Member

Re: two questions
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2008, 7:32am

Hi Tempora,

about 2.

You can use stability analysis in ADE for more accurate PM measurement. need not cut the loop.

With regs.,
Dipankar.

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
Tlaloc
Community Member

Dallas, TX
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2008, 8:28am

Regarding #1, at the bottom of the Direct Plot form, there is a button called "Add To Outputs".  This adds a new output in ADE, and you can see the code to get the waveform there.  It should be a getData function.  I personally have not used the PSS thd, but my guess to the code would be getData("nameOfNet" ?result "thd").  This returns the waveform object which the can then manipulate through Ocean.

View Profile   IP Logged
tempora123

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2008, 3:59am

Hello,

Thanks for your replies.
- About stb analysis, I've tried it and I get the same results as in my ac analysis with opening/closing the loop. I can live with tran analysis results I guess because I don't think now it is possible to simulate this circuit properly with any small signal analysis.
- About thd formula in pss, the aproach mentioned works ok, I get a formula:
_drplPssThd(v("/out" ?result "pss_fd") 10000) but it works (prints results) fine only if used in one corner simulation. If I run many corners and try to plot the results I get:
*Error* awvfPlotDoubleWave: not a waveform - nil
*Error* drfGetWaveformXVec: not a waveform - nil
If trying to print:
*Error*   no value at 1 , please check your entry at 'Print At' form
(in one corner simulation it shows thd vs index from 1 to 10)
However, when using printvs it shows:
*Error*   X axis not numbers, can't print a portion of it
but prints the results.
I guess I can live with that for the moment. But I would like to know how to properly format this formula so that it works with no errors. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Regards,
L.S.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.