The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Oct 28th, 2024, 3:59pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Programmable differential voltage reference (Read 10460 times)
spectrallypure
Community Member

Programmable differential voltage reference
Sep 22nd, 2008, 7:57am

Hello all!

In the design of a low-speed analog pulse receiver, I  have come across with the need of some sort of "programmable differential voltage reference" for feeding and setting the threshold (trip) point of a dynamic differential comparator. It's the kind of comparator found in pipeline ADCs, in which both the input signal and the comparation threshold voltage are fed in the form of differential voltages, and whose trip point corresponds to the condition:

Vin(=Vin_plus-Vin_minus) = Vref (=Vref_plus-Vref_minus)

Specifically, I need a circuit able to set two voltages "Vref_plus" and "Vref_minus" with a digitally-programmable difference in the [0,400mV] range, and with the added complication that the common mode of these voltages should be as constant as possible, and equal to the common mode of the signal input, 1.2V (this is because the comparator's offset is heavily dependent on the common-mode mismatch between the signal and threshold reference inputs). I am not designing an ADC, and this is why I need to be able to "program" the threshold (trip) point of the dynamic comparator.

Currently I have devised a solution that uses a current mirror with two copy-branches loaded with diode-connected MOS whose Vds sets the two reference voltages. The copy-side transistors are source-degenerated by parallel MOS resistors in a binary-weighted fashion, and in this way I can I vary the current through the copy-branches and thus the reference voltages. With 4 bits I get 16 levels and can cover the [0,400mV] range. The main problem with this solution is that the voltage range is covered in a highly-nonlinear fashion, and the circuit is too sensitive to temperature and mismatch! Sad

I have done an extensive search in the literature, but so far I haven't found anything useful (of course, the point here is not to use a pair of DACs - I am looking forward to a solution of the same order of complexity as the previously described). I also searched for some kind of "programmable differential bandgap" in the literature, but from what I learned about bandgaps now I guess that such a thing cannot really exist!. I really don't need high precision reference voltages, anything that covers the [0,400mV] differential range in 20-30mV steps with a mostly-constant common-mode is fine. Smiley

Well, any ideas/references/clues are welcome. Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for the long post!

Cheers,

Jorge.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tlaloc
Community Member

Dallas, TX
Re: Programmable differential voltage reference
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2008, 8:37am

What about a bandgap circuit with current output?  Then, you could send the current through some matched resistors.  Also, I don't think that you would ever get acceptable results by trying to trim the source degeneration like that.  The best thing would be to either have binary weighted current mirror legs or trim the resistors in the case I described above.

View Profile   IP Logged
spectrallypure
Community Member

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2008, 9:22am

Thanks for your reply, Tlaloc!
So basically, you mean building some sort of current-steering DAC based on a stable current source and with matched resistors as loads? Seems a good idea... I'll start working on it right now!

Any other suggestions? I would like to avoid using resistors as much as possible because it's a very size-critical design...

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:37pm

I know a similar application: A flash ADC with true differential voltage based reference ladder and differential input signal. I think that match your requirements.

If the 400mV is an absolute voltage you should derive it in a scaled form from a bandgap reference. A possible way is to feed a current through a resistor and regulted the current value by comparing the voltage across the resistor with the bandgap voltage. Then mirroring the driving current into a DAC ladder resistor. The resistor ladder has n-nit taps. The clue is that the taps are reused by a complementary code. So you tap the ladder starting at the bottom and at the top at the same time. So using two decoders with two multiplexer banks.

Each of the two comparators is connected to the signal and the ladder tap. The current output of the two comparators are simply connected to together (added current). It gives some redundancy.

Beside it looks similar it is not a differential-differential amplifier where two differential amplifier are added together. There the sum of two differencies are amplified. In the arrangement above both comparator diffpairs receivers receive the zero at the threshold point.

Have fun!

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:54pm

Hi Jorge,

that not really an exotic problem. Almost every ADC is differential and therefore needs a differential voltage reference.
In my opinion, rf-design gave you the best solution. Every bandgap does (or can easily modified) provide a current output. Feed the current into the circuit in the attachment. As rf-design said, use the same resistors (for matching) that are used in the bandgap.
To digitally program the reference voltage you can either program the resistor value by e.g. parallel resistors, or select different resistor tabs.

Regards

reference_001.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
spectrallypure
Community Member

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:57pm

Thanks for your reply, rf-design!
Well, it seems a little complicated at first sight, but surely it is worth considering. Could you please point any reference paper/book on the implementation of the proposed architecture? I am afraid I'm still not capable of devising the whole circuit idea from your description Sad

Thanks again,

Jorge.

View Profile   IP Logged
spectrallypure
Community Member

Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2008, 6:01am

Hi Berti! Thanks so much for your detailed explanation. I think I have gotten the idea behind rf-design's suggestions. It would be great if you could please give me your opinion about some doubts that still remain...

I really need to keep the circuit as simple as possible and small as possible because I'll be integrating 8 or 16 of these "differential reference voltage generators" in my application, and all of them should be programmable independently. Thus I was thinking that:

1. The resistive trimming option looks good. I have included an schematic of what I have understood about this option (see figure "Option 1" below-is this what you meant?). With regard to this option...
-How could I actually implement the switches in this circuit such that their ON resistance doesn't interfere with that of the resistors? I am afraid that if I use small devices the ON resistance won't be small enough compared to that of the resistors, and that I might end up having too big resistors to overcome this.
-Do you think the resistors could be implemented with MOS transistors working in triode? for the expected maximum differential voltage their Vds would be 200mV max, much more than their overdrive voltage, so they should be in deep triode... Do you think it would be practical to use MOS resistors instead of actual resistors? This way I could get rid of the switches altogether, but I am unsure about the precision/reliability/nonlinearity issues that might arise...

2. Leaving aside for a moment the first solution, I was thinking that maybe I could use fixed resistors and vary the current by connecting binary-weighted current legs, as shown in the schematic below ("Option 2"). Do you think this approach might work? The benefits would be the resistors are fixed and that the current consumption could be somewhat lower. Do you see any practical shortcommings of this idea?

Well, thanks again for any help & ideas!

Cheers,

Jorge.

P.S.
I discarded the multi-tap resistive ladder idea because of the added logic overhead that it entails (decoders, multiplexers, etc), but  I am really unsure if the area requirements of this solution would be significantly larger than those of the other solutions... do you think this makes sense?

Option1_-_Resistive_trimming.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
spectrallypure
Community Member

Reply #7 - Sep 23rd, 2008, 6:09am

(continued from previous message...)

Option2_-_Current_steering.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2008, 12:03am

Quote:
How could I actually implement the switches in this circuit such that their ON resistance doesn't interfere with that of the resistors?

I agree that option 1 is probably not the best. I also wouldn't use MOS transistors working in triode because they a) are non-linear and b) don't match with the
resistor in the bandgap.

Quote:
I was thinking that maybe I could use fixed resistors and vary the current by connecting binary-weighted current legs

As long as the amplifier loop which regulates the common-mode remains stable, I think that this is a good solution.

Quote:
I discarded the multi-tap resistive ladder idea...

Often you don't care that much about resistance in series to the reference (because the reference voltage will be buffered). In this case I think that this is still a reasonable solution since you can have moderate switches, and I guess that the decoding logic will be small.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
spectrallypure
Community Member

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2008, 3:45am

Ok then, I think I'll try first with the Option 2 and see what comes out. Smiley

Sorry for the beginner question, but... what type of circuit would suffice for the Opamp?... this would be first actual opamp that I will have to design and compensate. For an application like this, what could be a starting point for deciding things like topology (# of stages) and gain (open & close loop)? I guess it will be similar like the opamps used in replica-bias circuits, am I wrong?

Once again, thanks a lot for the advise and ideas!

Regards,

Jorge.

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2008, 3:54am

Since low speed can usually accepted for the common-mode regulation loop I would use a simple single-ended differential pair (tail-current source, diff. pair, current-mirror as load and single-ended output).

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
spectrallypure
Community Member

Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2008, 4:06am

Thanks so much for your help Berti; I am already working on it right now! Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Tlaloc
Community Member

Dallas, TX
Reply #12 - Sep 24th, 2008, 9:31am

Just for my own two cents worth, I like R-2R ladder trees for this type of application.  Then, your power consumption is independent of your trim code, and the switch resistance is unimportant (with a buffer, which you would have to use anyway).  Also, resistors match much better than current mirrors.  The penalty is the full decoding needed and the amount of resistors.  The decoding should be small; the resistors may not be.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #13 - Sep 29th, 2008, 2:31pm

spectrallypure wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008, 7:57am:
Hello all!
I really don't need high precision reference voltages, anything that covers the [0,400mV] differential range in 20-30mV steps with a mostly-constant common-mode is fine. Smiley

Why not keep it simple and connect a string of resistors from power to ground, and a create a mux that taps off the resistor string, starting at Vpwr/2 and stepping away from it? The use of 2 mux's one going above vdd/2 and one going below vdd/2 at the same time gets it done.

If you need a lot of these references, just use one string of resistors and a bunch of muxes all connected to the same set of resistors.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.