The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 25th, 2024, 3:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MASH(2-1 cascade)Delta-Sigma AD design question (Read 1128 times)
skythunder

MASH(2-1 cascade)Delta-Sigma AD design question
Sep 24th, 2008, 1:04am

Hi. guys,

I want to design a third-order delta-sigma adc and I want to try MASH(multi-stage noise shaping) structure with 2-1 cascade. The behavioral model is shown below.

I have question about the noise cancellation logic. How do I realize the gain block "1/c1" and "b1-1" . I think the two quantizer outputs y1 and y2 are signle-bit data, what it will be like when they pass the "1/c1" and "b1-1" ?

The D block is simply realized by a D-Flipflop ("1/z"), while XOR gate can be used to realize ("1-1/z").

MASH2-1_cascade.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Re: MASH(2-1 cascade)Delta-Sigma AD design question
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2008, 3:50am

Hi,

First of all you should make sure that 1/c1 and b1-1 are "good" numbers. Written as a fractional number N/D, N should be an integer, and D should be [1,2, 4, 8, 16 etc.]. Otherwise the digital implementation becomes nasty. Then I recommend to use a proper digital design flow (VHDL/Verilog,Synthesis) rather than hand-crafted digital design. I guess that the synthesis-tool is much better in logic optimization than you can do by hand.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
skythunder

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2008, 6:54pm

Berti wrote on Sep 24th, 2008, 3:50am:
Hi,

First of all you should make sure that 1/c1 and b1-1 are "good" numbers. Written as a fractional number N/D, N should be an integer, and D should be [1,2, 4, 8, 16 etc.]. Otherwise the digital implementation becomes nasty. Then I recommend to use a proper digital design flow (VHDL/Verilog,Synthesis) rather than hand-crafted digital design. I guess that the synthesis-tool is much better in logic optimization than you can do by hand.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply, Berti !
But  the point that confused me is : if y1, y2 are single-bit data, and the result y is also single bit, does those gain block 1/c1, b1-1 make any sense ?  For example, if C1=0.25, so 1/c1 = 4 (integer),  what it will be like when a one-bit data times 4 ? Does it make sense?
I hope I may misunderstand this noise cancellation logic, but I can't find answer yet .

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2008, 10:30pm

I think that you single bit output needs to be decoded like this
0  -> -1
1  ->  1

Multiplying by 4 therefore gives -4 and 4. Expressed in 2's complement:
0100 and 1100.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
ethan
Community Member

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2013, 10:37pm

Hi everybody,

sorry to bring this long old topic up again.

according to Berti,  if 1/c1=0100 (2's complement) and b1_1 = 1100, then that error cancellation circuit should have 4bit bus.

Then the first XOR gate (right after 1/c1 and b1_1) should have two 4-inpputs?

Is that right? thx.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.