The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 1:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
reference bias generation (Read 3805 times)
smarty
Community Member

reference bias generation
Sep 24th, 2008, 11:01am

Hi,
 I am trying to do a simple reference which should follow Vt. I just did a pmos diode connected and a resistor. I expected as I change the temperature, the threshold decreases and the voltage generated should be vgs-vth and it should change as per vth change, but I do not see that change. Is that I am missing something, this is in DSM in 65nm.

Is there any way to generate the voltage following the Vth to compensate for the temperature.

Thanks,
SBR

View Profile smarty smarty   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: reference bias generation
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2008, 1:44am

Hi SBR,

I am not clear how you connect the resistor and the PMOS. Would you please depict it with a figure?

If you want to observe/measure the Vth vs temperature, you'd better give a constant or relative constant drain current for that PMOS.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
smarty
Community Member

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2008, 12:38pm

Hi,
 I am sending the fig. as per your request. I am working in 65nm and I see the mobility variation ~50% across temperature. I need to generate the bias which controls to generate the current which should vary to compensate for the mobility reduction across temperature to provide a constant delay cell.
The bias is generated for the constant delay cell.

Thanks and Regards,
SBR

smarty
Community Member

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2008, 12:41pm

Hi,
 Forgot to attach in my previous reply

fig.GIF
Tlaloc
Community Member

Dallas, TX
Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2008, 10:28am

It really sounds like you are trying to follow gm, not Vt since you are trying to compensate for mobility.  There is a very simple constant gm circuit that is found in a number of text books.  One that I think of off the top of my head is the Johns and Martin book, "Analog Integrated Circuit Design".

I ran a quick search on google, and found a paper that describes the technique.  www.eecg.toronto.edu/~kphang/papers/iscas2004_nicolson_opamp.pdf.  I have not used the additional techniques presented by the paper, but it does give a nice overview of the traditional way to bias amplifiers.  One difference is that I always implement the resistor on chip, so I don't ever see the stability problems that they were talking about.

I realize that everything that I have talked about is generated currents that will produce a constant gm, and you asked for a voltage.  Do you really need a voltage?  If so, and if you have a low tempco resistor available, you can just drive the current into a resistor.

View Profile   IP Logged
smarty
Community Member

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2008, 12:30pm

Hi Tlaloc,
 Thanks for the inputs. Actually I was working on a current starved inverter, and I wanted to compensate for the mobility across temperature to get a constant delay. So I tried the above approach and bias the current starved using this bias generation.

I thought of constant gm bias, but I was worried about the stability and compensating that. I wanted to make  things simple, so I thought of this one.

I will have a look at the attached pdf.

Best Regards,
SBR

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.