The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 3:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How can I import SPICE models to Cadence Virtuoso? (Read 5719 times)
aago

How can I import SPICE models to Cadence Virtuoso?
Oct 10th, 2008, 12:14pm

Hi there.

I've got a problem. I need to design some stuff and so i need to use commercial device models, like I would if I were using LTSpice or OrCAD. How can I import SPICE models of commercial devices to Cadence Virtuoso (SPECTRE)? Or better, how can I export a design of mine to a model that I can use in OrCAD?

I hope I was clear, I really need help.

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: How can I import SPICE models to Cadence Virtuoso?
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2008, 8:35pm

Hi aago,

Would you simulate your design with spectre, OrCAD, or LTSpice?

I don't know the commercial models for OrCAD or LTSpice. I guess it is SPICE-like models. If you simulate with Spectre, probably it can read and interpret those models, for that Spectre can read SPICE2, SPICE3, PSPICE, HSPICE netlist and models directly now. I remember the simulator in OrCAD is PSPICE.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
aago

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2008, 11:31am

ywguo wrote on Oct 10th, 2008, 8:35pm:
Hi aago,

Would you simulate your design with spectre, OrCAD, or LTSpice?

I don't know the commercial models for OrCAD or LTSpice. I guess it is SPICE-like models. If you simulate with Spectre, probably it can read and interpret those models, for that Spectre can read SPICE2, SPICE3, PSPICE, HSPICE netlist and models directly now. I remember the simulator in OrCAD is PSPICE.

Yawei

Hi ywguo

Thanks for answering! Yes the commercial models are SPICE-like and simulator in OrCAD is PSPICE. But I think I wasnt clear, maybe its a language issue, since english is not my native language. The fact is I designed a chip with Cadence Virtuoso and I will use this device to design another product. In this product there'll be a lot of commercial devices. If  I could use a simulator like OrCAD or LTSpice it would be ok since I can get the commercial models on the web and simulate them. So I have two choices:

1 - To export MY device to an environment like OrCAD or LTSpice*
2 - To export the commercial models to the Virtuoso environment (Spectre)

* my prefered since I can easily use the models of the Linear Technology devices

I think the first one is the best choice. But I cant find any help to do this.

Hope you got the point.

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2008, 5:29am

aago wrote on Oct 14th, 2008, 11:31am:
1 - To export MY device to an environment like OrCAD or LTSpice*
2 - To export the commercial models to the Virtuoso environment (Spectre)

* my prefered since I can easily use the models of the Linear Technology devices

Are you looking to convert the whole circuit, including netlist and .model cards, or to construct a behavioral model that gives a good approximation of your circuit?

If it's the latter, then you need to visit the behavioral modeling or analog verification sections of this forum.  But it's not an easy task.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.