The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 11:06pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase noise for a large linewidth, low power, unstable free-running oscillator (Read 2411 times)
sandman
Community Member

Phase noise for a large linewidth, low power, unstable free-running oscillator
Oct 20th, 2008, 5:49am

Hi all!

I have an oscillator that runs at nearly 8GHz and has a -3dB bandwidth of about 40 MHz. It's not a traditional LC or CMOS oscillator and which is why I'm trying to characterize it's phase noise. The carrier power is low (@ -40dBm) and is above the noise floor of the measurement setup by say 30 dB (which I agree is noisy!).

I'm using the direct measurement (method) to measure the PN profile of this free running oscillator (using a R&S FSU26 with a software PN add-on kit available from the same company). The oscillator at the moment has a carrier frequency drift, to the tune of a say 10-15MHz. I assume that because of this fluctuation the machine measures frequency noise and not just the intrinsic phase noise of my oscillator. I still don't understand this fully and it would be great if you or anyone would have some inputs or comments on this and what steps I would need to take to measure this noisy, very low Q, very low power oscillator.

Additionally, the machine fails to track the oscillator signal even if I increase the error tolerance (in frequency drift and signal peak power) to large percentages. So, I manually specify the level and frequency of the carrier for the PN measurement. I'm willing to live with some percentage of error in this measurement assuming it is - say, below 10%.

Any inputs are welcome. Thanks !

View Profile   IP Logged
Mazz

Re: Phase noise for a large linewidth, low power, unstable free-running oscillator
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2009, 12:21am

You have 2 possibilities:

1. Use the same method used in specific phase noise instruments (that is complex to build up, you'll need a mixer, a low frew LNA, a clean FM mod RF source and so on)

2. Lock the VCO in an external PLL with very low loop bandwidth.

In any case you'll need an external LNA to rise up the VCO level to -10 - 0 dBm.

I hope it can help.

Mazz

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.