The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 5:01am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to get jitter for logic gates (Read 5266 times)
youchen

how to get jitter for logic gates
Oct 20th, 2008, 3:13pm

1. Hi, I had tried to characterize the jitter for driven logic gates (for insance, a simple inverter) due to intrinsic device noise. According to Ken Kundert's paper - An Introduction to Cyclostationary Noise, there are three approaches to do that (on page 38). The first approach needs to determine the instantaneous noise power at the time of threshold crossing time. It is written that "SpectreRF can do this", but I wonder what SpectreRF analysis can do this.

2. On the other hand, I had used 'pnoise' for this purpose, but 'pnoise' gives the time-average of the noise at the output of the circuit in the form of a spectral density versus frequency, according to the reference guide. I was wondering how to convert the resulting noise spectrum to actual time-domain jitter?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Re: how to get jitter for logic gates
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2009, 1:25pm

You should use pnoise and get phase noise output. Then integrate it over the band.

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2009, 1:14am

Please see the thread starting at http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1224609785. In general (that is without any additional assumptions), it is not possible to calculate jitter from the time-averaged noise.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
love_analog

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2010, 7:59am

Another thing I would like to add on. I understand your question is mostly about thermal noise induced jitter. However, typically most of the jitter will come from power supply noise so please don't forget that.

Best way is to put say 50mV pp sinewave at a non-multiplier ratio of the reference frequency and look at the pp of the output.

loveanalog.blogspot.com
The Power of Analog
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.