The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 1:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
difference between "pnoise-->Phase Noise" and "pnoise jitter--> Phase Noise" (Read 3758 times)
OpAmp

difference between "pnoise-->Phase Noise" and "pnoise jitter--> Phase Noise"
Oct 22nd, 2008, 7:09am

After doing a jitter simulation using PSS+Pnoise simulation on an oscillator, in the “Direct Plot Form” in “Affirma Analog Design Environment”, there are four analysis: “pss”, “pnoise”, “pnoise modulated” and “pnoise jitter”. We can plot phase noise of the oscillator with two different methods:
1-  Analysis=pnoise,   Function=Phase Noise
2-  Analysis=pnoise jitter,      Function=Phase Noise  

The result of the second approach is 3dB higher. Can somebody explain for me the difference?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Sinner

Re: difference between "pnoise-->Phase Noise" and "pnoise jitter--> Phase Noise"
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2008, 2:37am

I am not sure about the Analysis..

But with the result that you have given I think 1 result is for SSB noise and the other being DSB, thereby the 3dB difference.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: difference between "pnoise-->Phase Noise" and "pnoise jitter--
Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2008, 5:21am

OpAmp wrote on Oct 22nd, 2008, 7:09am:
1-  Analysis=pnoise,   Function=Phase Noise
2-  Analysis=pnoise jitter,      Function=Phase Noise  
The result of the second approach is 3dB higher. Can somebody explain for me the difference?

1 is SSB SideBand Noise.
 This is small signal mixing noise, that is, sideband noise which include both AM and PM noise.

2 is phase noise.

Agilent GoldenGate give same result as "pnoise jitter" and as another results, there are "side_band_left" and "side_band_right" which are same as "pnoise".

See followings.
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1223659963/1#1
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1220755065/1#1

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.