The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 5:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
harmonic in Delta-sigma (Read 2659 times)
frank007

harmonic in Delta-sigma
Oct 22nd, 2008, 6:18pm

I did a simulation of delta-sigma modulator at transistor level. The 2nd and 3rd harmonics are big. I guess since differential integrator is used, the 2nd harmonic should be small. What is the possible reason of that? Thanks.

1_004.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: harmonic in Delta-sigma
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:19pm

Hi Frank,

There are several possible reasons. I will list them below:

1. Your sampling switches at the delta-sigma input are not linear enough. This causes a problem because these switches are tracking a continuously varying input signal and so their Ron needs to be much better than when tracking a previously sampled-and-held signal, or else the Ron needs to be made linear with bootstrapping. Try replacing those switches with ideal ones with comparable but fixed Ron to see if the harmonics disappear. The charge injection from nonlinear switches will also not get cancelled properly in a differential arrangement.

2. Poorly implemented differential arrangement. Merely using a differential circuit does not mean that you have implemented everything differentially. Is this schematic-based simulation, or have you also some layout-based backannotation? In either case, check to see if you have made the circuit really symmetrical. In a schematic, this is easy as long as you are using a fully differential structure. In the layout, it is not so obvious. Remember that symmetry of the diff. signals means symmetry in both amplitude and phase, i.e. the signal delays through both paths must match. So, the two paths must see 100% identical conditions. This also holds true for the source driving the 2 differential inputs and the reference inputs and the output loading on the integrators etc.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:40pm

Hi Frank,

first of all I would recommend to plot the output spectrum on a logarithmic scale. On the figure you attached, the signal band is hardly visible and I am also not so clear about the meaning of the tone in the spectrum.

Secondly, I like to add that beside the potential errors mentioned by Vivek there
could also be other reasons. But I think it will be very difficult to answer this question
without any circuit details. In general other reasons might be:

1. Linearity in the DAC.
2. Bad settling of reference voltages.
3. Non-linear amplifier gain.
4. Badly designed quantizer

etc.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
frank007

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2008, 5:21pm

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.