The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 7:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
quality factor of inductor (Read 2416 times)
Julian18
Community Member

quality factor of inductor
Oct 27th, 2008, 8:51am

Hi,
after reading a lot of papers, I am totally confused by the definition of quality factor of inductor. That is , should we take the electric energy that is inevitably stored in a real inductor into the account? if so should that form of energy be added to or subtracted from the dominant magnetic energy stored in the inductor. If the former is the correct definition, we should get the same definition of Q of an inductor as that of a resonator, If the latter is correct, we get the commonly used formula Q = -Im(y11)/Re(y11).

Thanks.

Julian

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: quality factor of inductor
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2008, 10:00am

You can find a good overview over different definitions for the quality factor of inductors and their usefulness for circuit design in http://www.simics.tec.ufl.edu/papers/00705364.pdf.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: quality factor of inductor
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2008, 9:04pm

hi ,
            i have one doubt regarding Q factor of a circuit.generally i heard Q is defined for 2nd order system only,is this true?i saw in one razaavi paper,in that  he used to find Q factor for any circuit by using the standard definition Q=ω*.5*(dΦ/dw)(i hope u understood the formula),in the above expression ω means resonance frequency or corner frequency.Instead he used direct ω as variable frequency.the following is the paper

http://www.ee.ucla.edu/~brweb/papers/Journals/BRSept08.pdf        
   just refer appendix-1

Thanks for your time.
Regards,

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.