The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 7th, 2024, 9:31am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Transient ---> Save--->AC (Read 15256 times)
rajdeep

UK
Transient ---> Save--->AC
Oct 30th, 2008, 10:15am

Hi all,

I have a requirement as follows:

Step 1: I need to run transient analysis upto a certain point and save all the
node voltage and current.

Step 2: Feed those values as the initial condition for the next analysis which
is ac analysis.

I am using Cadence Spectre.
I am particularly worried abt the 2nd step, however not sure how to do any of these steps.

Any ideas guys?

Rajdeep

Design is fun, verification is a requirement.
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Transient ---> Save--->AC
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2008, 12:54pm

The basic idea would be to run the transient first, and then run the AC analysis with restart=no. I don't know that you can do this within Artist as Artist constrains the analysis order and may do the transient last, but you can certainly do it when running Spectre outside of Artist by just putting the AC analysis after the transient analysis in the netlist.

It might also be possible to use some combination of writefinal in the transient analysis and readforce and skipdc in the AC analysis, but again if you try this in Artist you might end up getting the final transient point from your last simulation because Artist probably runs the transient last.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2008, 3:10am

Thanks Ken.

It worked. Artist actually did the tran first, then skipped the dc and did the ac analysis (as I
gave restart = no) hopefully from the last saved operating point of the transient analysis.

But the results look a bit odd!! Is there a way to check with  what initial conditions an
ac analysis starts?

Also, there is an option called store/restore. But seems like it does not work on ac!!

Thanks!
Rajdeep

Design is fun, verification is a requirement.
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2008, 11:17am

You can use writefinal on the transient. Perhaps write on the ac might work as well.

-Ken

Tlaloc
Community Member

Dallas, TX
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2008, 2:33pm

The way that I do this in Artist is to chose tran->Options.  Towards the bottom of the screen are two fields called actimes and acnames.  actimes are the points you want the AC run at, and acnames specifies the analysis type, e.g. ac, stb, or xf.  This sometimes saves the transient operating point in the "normal" way, but it seemed a little flaky to me in the past.  Because of that, I normally copy the same times in actimes to the infotimes field.  That always works properly with back-annotating the operating points and node voltages at those times in the Composer window.

View Profile   IP Logged
microant

China,SH
Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2008, 12:32am

Hi Rajdeep

You can run AC analysis alonely.
first, in the 'initial condition...' add the init value for the net,
then, in the option for AC analysis, setup with force=all, oppoint=logfile, restart=no.
after this, you can run the simulation and the OP info you will see in the output log.

BR,
Lin

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:51pm

Also, for Ken's information, ADE does allow the order of the analyses to be specified. Under Setup->Environment, there's a field "Analysis Order" which you can enter (say) "dc tran ac" (the names of the analyses in the order you want them) to override the default order.

Regards,

Andrew.

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 8:25pm

Thanks Andrew.

-Ken

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.