The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 1:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DAC nonliear problem? (Read 3870 times)
chiarella

China
DAC nonliear problem?
Nov 04th, 2008, 11:07pm

Dear all:

DAC nonliear problem is found in my chip which is a 8 bits SAR DAC using the resistor ladder. I run the simulation again, but it works well.

anybody knows why this error happens in my DAC?

DAC_A_dettaglio.JPG
View Profile chiarella   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: DAC nonliear problem?
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2008, 2:29am

Hi,

What nonidealities do you include in your simulation? And what sort of simulation are you running?

I don't know the exact design details, but you seem to have the classic nonlinearity in your SAR DAC which comes from element mismatch. Have you assumed a reasonable level of mismatch in your calculations/simulations?

Regards,
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
chiarella

China
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2008, 4:26pm

Hi,

the op-amp's offset, resistor ladder's mismatch is considered, but I don't think it is the reason for nonliearity.
Actually this DAC is very simple resistor ladder structure, firstly I also think the reason is device's mismatching.
I run the transient analysis, the reason is very good steps.

do you have any idea about this nonliearity? which element will cause this error? Actually if it is current steering DAC, I think nonliearity is more easy to happen, but now it is resistor ladder. I have no idea.

vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2008, 11:37pm

Hi,

Mismatch is equally likely to happen in a resistor ladder as in a current-steering DAC. Apart from random mismatch which you can reduce with large sized resistors, and excellent common-centroid layout with dummies, there will also be systematic mismatch which you will see if your layout is not good.

Have you measured several parts? Do you see the same nonlinearity profile (more or less) for all of them? If yes, then your layout is to blame. If you see random profiles for nonlinearity, then it is residual mismatch, to reduce which you would need to make the resistors larger.

I suspect you have layout issues. Measure nonlinearity for 20-30 parts and then compare the profiles.

Regards,
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
chiarella

China
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2008, 1:35am

thanks , vivkr

today I found the problem. the reason is the MOSFET switch. two kinds of MOSFET is used as a switch, Pmos is used to conduct the voltage higher than half of the Maximum voltage, Nmos is used for lower.
When test engineer use the probe to measure the DAC output, the drop voltage of MOSFET is generated. When the input is changing from 127 to 128, the switch also changed from PMOS to NMOS, so the equivalent resistor is different, so the drop voltage is different.

I hope you can understand my explaination.

thanks again.

rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2008, 2:39pm

I think you use a PMOS to NMOS divided ladder tap switch because the ladder spans from VDD to VSS.

If the application makes only capacitive load the seetling time will also a little bit different but the DC-effect vanish.

Was there a reason not to use complementary switches? The the ladder you be universal connected.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.