The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 10:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
have ac analysis pick up node/net ic conditions from a transient run in AMS (Read 10566 times)
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
have ac analysis pick up node/net ic conditions from a transient run in AMS
Nov 06th, 2008, 6:55am

I have an analog circuit connected to a digital control block. I would like to check the interaction between digital and analog.

Now when I run an AC analysis the simulator picks up the wrong net conditions as the digital verilog block needs a little while to output the correct states to the analog block. For example, after power on the digital block provide filter and gain settings to the analog block.

I figured I would run a short transient first, save the ic conditions to a file and then have the AC analysis read in this file and use it. However, the AMS simulator options are different from the regular Spectre ones. I cannot force the AC to read in ic nodes as I could in a conventional ac analysis.

Does anyone know whether there is a way to do this?
Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Peruzzi
Community Member

Re: have ac analysis pick up node/net ic conditions from a transient run in AMS
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2008, 11:08am

Trond,

Try running AMS through the GUI and if you mouse around in the options, transient analysis menus and you'll find your answer.  (At the moment I don't have access to it or I'd give you a specific answer, but I know the answer is in the menus.)

Good luck,

Bob

View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2008, 1:58am

Hello Bob,

I am using the AMS simulator via the ADE gui. In the AC analysis option I can specify the file to read in. When running the sim it does read the file (as it complains about some nodes) but it seems to performs a dc analysis anyways.

In Spectre I would just tell it to FORCE the ic conditions but in the AMS simulator under AC options there is no such option. Even when I manually edit the netlist to "force=node" . Weird.

View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2008, 6:53am

SOLVED!

I found the explanation in the sourcelink cadence page. I copied it below for easy reference.

Solution Number:      11089964
Difference between prevoppoint and readns options

Problem statement:
What is the difference between prevoppoint and readns options?

Solution:
prevoppoint - causes the dc analysis to be skipped completely by ac and use the previous solution (last point of transient) as a starting point.
readns - is just a starting point for the dc analysis to bias it towards a certain solution. With this option, nodes are initialized to the given values and then dc computed. This is entirely different from the above. Since the transient operating point was computed with some parameters changing in the circuit, it maybe entirely different from the actual dc stable solution. As such, dc could converge to a different stable solution independent of the nodesets.  

This explains the difference in behavior between when readns is used and when prevoppoint is used.

Since ac does not have readic or skipdc option, If you want to use transient simulation  information for your ac analysis then you have to run transient analysis before every ac analysis run and use prevoppoint option for ac analysis.

See also Solution 11218088.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2008, 9:49am

trond wrote on Nov 7th, 2008, 6:53am:
Since ac does not have readic or skipdc option, If you want to use transient simulation  information for your ac analysis then you have to run transient analysis before every ac analysis run and use prevoppoint option for ac analysis.

That seems wasteful.  Have you looked at "readforce"  ?  Also, are you sure ac doesn't have a skipdc option (in the current version of the simulator) ?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2008, 3:46am

Geoffrey,

I agree, it is somewhat time consuming. But the ac analysis does not provide a skip dc option or a force node/readforce option with the AMS simulator set.

Cadence IC5141ISR20080523,
Spectre version 7.0.1

Regards,

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2009, 8:00am

Given that usually with an AMS simulation you're going to want to do a time domain simulation anyway (otherwise why use AMS?), having to run the transient first is not really a problem, I'd have thought - since that's why you'd be running AMS...

You'd need to be a bit careful about using readforce (in a DC sim) followed by an AC analysis anyway, because I think you'd see the effect of the rforce resistors in the linearisation of the circuit (assuming you were able to do this with AMS).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.