The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 12:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Current mode mixer (Read 1873 times)
vivarf
Community Member

Current mode mixer
Nov 25th, 2008, 1:12am

Hello all

I have read the paper tittle "A 1.5-V 0.7–2.5-GHz CMOS Quadrature Demodulator for Multiband Direct-Conversion Receivers".

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=4277877&isnumber=4277855...

In the paper, the authors gave the equation to calculate the output noise caused by the switches of the mixer, equation (3). When looking at the equation, I could not figure out what is the conceptual original equation for the switches noise. Any advices are welcome. Thank you.

I will try to contact the authors anyway.

View Profile veeater   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Current mode mixer
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2008, 6:31pm

Hi,

IMO the analysis looks very wishy washy. Its a little surprising because i've read some of Ali Niknejad's previous papers and they were very good. Perhaps i just need to spend more time reading it...

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks like equation (2) doesn't agree with equation (1). i.e. if you take the noise of the transconductor, 4kTγgdo, you should be able to just multiply it by the conversion gain to get something like,

16kTγgd02*|Zf(fout)|2Δf

Not so sure if equation (3) is correct either. It seems to suggest that the noise of the switches is zero is Zgm' is infinte. However, if Zgm' is infinite, then you can treat each half of the double-balanced mixer as something like a differential pair with a transimpedance amplifier at the output. No reason why it should have zero noise contribution...

Anyway just a last comment, it seems like the switches would have to be pretty enormous in order for this to be a current-mode mixer. In which case, the maximum operating freqeuncy would be limited by the transistor average gd0/CGS while operating in the triode region with VDS near zero. This is apparently around 2.5 GHz.

I'll look over it again and see if I have to take back any of my comments  :P

cheers,
Aaron

EDIT:
after looking more carefully, I guess (1) and (2) do agree due to the noise folding. I guess the assumption is, however, that the transconductor high freqeuncy noise is not filtered...

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2008, 12:54am by aaron_do »  

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.