The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jun 25th, 2024, 9:33pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Editing Assura procfile? (Read 5391 times)
tkhan

Editing Assura procfile?
Nov 28th, 2008, 5:38pm

Hi, i want to use the Assura procfile to synthesize inductors in virtuoso passive component modeler but the procfile provided by the foundry includes layers which are not used for inductors. There is a BEOL resistor layer between the topmetal and 2nd to top metal, and it causes problems when I want to specify the bridge (crossover metal) of the inductor. The tool says the bridge layer must be the metal layer directly beneath the winding layer, so I can not select the 2nd to top metal as the bridge since there is a BEOL resistor layer above the 2nd to top metal. Is there some way to edit the procfile to ignore this layer and any other layers not used for inductors? The file does not seem to be in a readable format... Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Editing Assura procfile?
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2008, 7:44pm

I don't think you can synthesize inductors by using VPCD if you want to make inductors you mentioned previously.
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1217521760/0#14

tkhan wrote on Nov 28th, 2008, 5:38pm:
The file does not seem to be in a readable format...

VPCD(Virtuoso Passive Component Designer) reads procfile and p2lvsfile.
Both filles are simple ascii format, so you can edit them easily.
Do you see wrong file ? For example, you see binary technology file ?

For VPCD, there is no meaning in the following sections inside "procfile".
   metal_variations
   endmetal_variations

metal_combinations
   endmetal_combinations

Also VPCD ignores contact resistance defined in "p2lvsfile".  

You can confirm "procfile" visually by using "procview" command provided inside Assura directory.

« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2008, 2:21am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
tkhan

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2008, 6:54am

Hi Pancho,

Thanks for the reply.

Well I'm not necessarily trying to do the stacked spirals, we just want to get the tool working. The ability to optimize based on some given criteria has gotten the interest of myself and some others in my lab.

Anyways, our foundry has said specifically that they don't support VPCD but they mentioned that people have modified the procfile in the past to work with VPCD. The procfile, actually called _procfile, is in some RAW format which I can not understand. The fab is pretty strict about confidentiality so perhaps they did this by intent? I did a 'grep metal_variations *' on our RCX directory and it came up with nothing, which means the procfile must be in some other format. I will try procview when I get to campus today, I can not export my display to home  >:(.

----

The process file is indeed encrypted, I can not open it with procview. Guess I am out of luck.

« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2008, 8:55am by tkhan »  
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2008, 9:31pm

tkhan wrote on Nov 29th, 2008, 6:54am:
The procfile, actually called _procfile, is in some RAW format which I can not understand.

Usually procfile and p2lvsfile are provided as ascii format.
If you don't have these ascii procfile and p2lvsfile, you can write them by yourself.

procfile and p2lvsfile are easy to wtite if you know thickness of each layer, etc..
You were trying to use Agilent Momentum, so you must know informations enough to write procfile and p2lvsfile.

For a few processes which don't have Cadence Assura RCX environment, I wrote procfile and p2lvsfile by myself.

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2008, 4:06am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
tkhan

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2008, 6:32am

Thanks. I actually found that I can export the procfile to ascii format by choosing "Internal Format" in the procfile window (or techfile i don't remember) and saving it as a .tlib file, but it is missing information for some layers which I can fill in myself. it doesn't have the metal_variations and metal_combinations headers, but you mentioned they are not used in VPCM anyways.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.