The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 10:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
wide-band LNA (Read 3501 times)
manfred

wide-band LNA
Dec 05th, 2008, 9:54am

Hi, everyone!

I'm designing a wideband LNA(about 1~1.8GHz) in cascode structure,but  I wonder how to desing the input and output match network?
in my opinion, the input match network can be reallized with LC-ladder(bandpass filter), but I don't know if it is the best way.

as the output of LNA will connect to the offchip SAW filter, so the output match is required. I adopt the emiter follower and output match network, but I think the whole LNA is too complicated and the power is a bit large.
are there any other simple solutions?

anyone is appreciable
Best regards.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: wide-band LNA
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2008, 5:35pm

Hi,

for the input matching, have you considered just using resistive feedback, or a common-gate input?

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
manfred

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2008, 3:15am

Aaron:
I have thought about resitive feedback and common-base input, but it seems the NF is a bit large .  
so I select the usual structur of source degeneration plus LC-ladder filter .
Have you ever designed resistive feedback or common-base input LNA wich supply good NF performance?

cheers

manfred

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2008, 5:19pm

Hi,

i personally have not, but i've read some papers on wideband amplifiers with NF less than 3 dB using those methods. If you want better than that then i guess you will need to go with common-source. Just wondering though, i calculated the Q you require is about 1.67. So perhaps you can just go with a standard inductive source degeneration LNA and still get enough bandwidth.  

Not sure if it will help but there is a paper you might find useful if you intend to go for ladder filter design. It used just three inductors total and had a very broad matching bandwidth...

Aly Ismail, Asad A. Abidi, "A 3–10-GHz Low-Noise Amplifier With Wideband LC-Ladder Matching Network" JSSC vol. 39, no. 2, dec 2004.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
manfred

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2008, 6:37am

thanks Aaron!

your reply is very helpful!

cheers

manfred

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.