The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 4:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
down-bond (Read 1793 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

down-bond
Dec 15th, 2008, 11:25pm

Hi all,

I have a receiver design with a RX and a PLL. I'm worried that if the RF section shares the same ground as the digital dividers of the PLL, then a lot of noise will couple to the RF section due to the substrate resistance. So I have the option of down-bonding either the digital divider's ground, or the RF section's ground, and using a separate pin for the other ground. Just curious, which one is better? Should I down-bond the digital divider ground, or the RF section, or should I just connect them both to the down-bond?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: down-bond
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2008, 3:09pm

Suggestion: Put together a simplidfied model for this:

Behaviorals with the typical surge currents in the pins/connections and a bonding and package model, with a dummy resistance between the two grounds and investigate your options quantitatively?

Using that you can develop a systematic method to investigate your options.

My guess is that a low impedance grounding structure on both sides will be the best performing, but this will give ypu a method of checking it out.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.