The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 3:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Performance analysis by spectre or any fast spice simulator (Read 2685 times)
Rooney

Performance analysis by spectre or any fast spice simulator
Jan 01st, 2009, 2:19am

Hi,

I am running a top level simulation.
I would like to check the time taken by each sub-blocks using spectre simulator or any fast spice simulator

Basically, Spectre creates a flat level netlist and the log file has the information of the total simulation time. ( NOT the information about each block simulation time)

e.g. my top level consists of ADC, DAC, PLL, DLL. Now, if I run spectre or any fast spice simulation, it gives the total simulation time.
How is it possible to know the simulation time for each block in case of top level simulation with all the blocks active.

How to enable that feature in ADE or whatever way or which analog tool supports that for transistor level simulation.  

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Performance analysis by spectre or any fast spice simulator
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 7:37am

It's hard to see how this could be done, at least in a simulator that doesn't partition the design. Given that you have to solve a whole bunch of simultaneous equations, and converge on a solution - the simulation time is dependent on the whole circuit. I guess you could potentially keep track of when all the equations for a particular block have converged, and when you're tracking time, ignor eany time after that.

This would all assume that there's no interaction between the blocks - it may be that as other parts of the circuit converge on a solution, they start affecting other blocks which were previously converged, for example.

Anyway, suffice to say, there isn't a way of doing this with spectre or other simulators that I know of (perhaps it is possible with some - but I've not come across such a feature; I'm not convinced it would be terribly useful).

Regards,

Andrew (first post after a long absence!)

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Rooney

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2009, 6:02pm

Hi,

This can be useful for the analog modeling. If we want to chose the blocks that consume large simulation time, we can go for that block for modeling

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2009, 1:42am

I would assume you would know that information from simulating the blocks individually as you design them - but I get your point.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.