The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 4:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SC-CMFB clock issue (Read 6894 times)
seahs

SC-CMFB clock issue
Jan 08th, 2009, 11:35pm

I am trying to use sc-cmfb in a fully differential OTA, which is going to be used in double-sampled flip-around differential SHA.
I am wondering the relation between clocks of the sc-cmfb and clocks of the SHA.
should the  clocks of the sc-cmfb be much higher than clocks of the SHA.?

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Re: SC-CMFB clock issue
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2009, 4:03am

Probably it is not a good idea to switch the CMBF during the output of the SHA settles. I would therefore recommend to use the same clock frequency and arrange the CMFB clock-phases in a way to balance the capacitive load of the SHA.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2009, 8:48am

I would probably use the same clock frequency, and sample the common mode signal when sampling the input signal, while transfering the common mode charge when the SH output is updated.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2009, 7:28am

I'm having difficulty to understand SC-CMFB.

Except for the steady-state results of final settling relationship of output common mode, I can't imagine how the circuit works continuously.

Any recommendation for reading more than "Analysis of switched-capacitor common-mode feedback circuit"?

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2009, 7:33am

HdrChopper wrote on Jan 10th, 2009, 8:48am:
I would probably use the same clock frequency, and sample the common mode signal when sampling the input signal, while transfering the common mode charge when the SH output is updated.

Regards
Tosei

Such slow update rate of the CMFB holding capcitors is adequate? How to analyze this circuit CMFB instead of simulation?

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2009, 6:27pm

I guess it will depend on whether the amplifier is "active" on both clock phases of your circuit or not.
I'm assuming you are talking about a standard SC-CMFB. If not, could you post a schematic of such circuit.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
subgold
Community Member

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2009, 2:37am

neoflash wrote on Feb 12th, 2009, 7:33am:

Regards
Tosei

Such slow update rate of the CMFB holding capcitors is adequate? How to analyze this circuit CMFB instead of simulation?

it removes the CM error by integration over several clock cycles. I don't think it is very slow. How fast do you expect it to be?

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2009, 3:57am

subgold wrote on Feb 16th, 2009, 2:37am:
neoflash wrote on Feb 12th, 2009, 7:33am:

Regards
Tosei

it removes the CM error by integration over several clock cycles. I don't think it is very slow. How fast do you expect it to be?

The update rate is supposed to be much higher than CM signal changing rate.

Since CM signal's change is not supposed to be huge, due to the high-CMRR of the fully differential opamp, I guess refresh the capacitor once per integration cycle is adquate, right?

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2009, 4:04am

HdrChopper wrote on Feb 15th, 2009, 6:27pm:
I guess it will depend on whether the amplifier is "active" on both clock phases of your circuit or not.
I'm assuming you are talking about a standard SC-CMFB. If not, could you post a schematic of such circuit.
Regards
Tosei

The amplifier is active on both clock cycles. I love the idea of doing the CMFB refreshing at integration cycle. However, I've seen a design doing the CMFB refreshing at input sampling cycle.

I'm curious whether this CMFB refreshing cycle could be reversed at will?

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2009, 8:35am

Hi Neoflash,

It doesn't matter in which phase you refresh the CMFB. But usually it is done during the sampling phase in order to balance the capacitive load of the amplifier.

I am not sure if I understand that right, but to my understanding is the speed (bandwidth) of the SC-CMFB independent of the clock frequency.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2009, 7:01am

Berti wrote on Feb 16th, 2009, 8:35am:
Hi Neoflash,

It doesn't matter in which phase you refresh the CMFB. But usually it is done during the sampling phase in order to balance the capacitive load of the amplifier.

I am not sure if I understand that right, but to my understanding is the speed (bandwidth) of the SC-CMFB independent of the clock frequency.

Regards

I did an experiment and find that if I do CMFB refresh in sampling phase, then in integrating phase the output Common mode voltage is not well regulated.

Instead, the CM voltage during sampling phase is very well controlled. However, I don't think the CM  voltage in sampling phase is important. At this phase, OPAMP is not supposed to process signal.

I prefered to do the CMFB cap refreshing at integration phase, and let output CM in integration phase to be regulated. Right?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.