The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 7:30pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OSS vs cellview based netlister (Read 5839 times)
wave

Silicon Valley
OSS vs cellview based netlister
Jan 19th, 2009, 7:54pm

Hi - we're finding some verilogams models run fine with cellview based netlister, but have functional errors with OSS based.

Are there any guidelines or differences in how the models should be written?

Also, I find sometimes the verilogams cellview misses the .cdb file upon creation --- which is a show stopper for OSS.  Any reason for this?

Lips Sealed

thanks,
Wave

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: OSS vs cellview based netlister
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2009, 2:31am

I don't think there should be any reason that you need to write the code differently. Can you give some details as to what you're finding?

As for the .cdb file creation - part of this may come about because it wasn't required in the cell-based netlister flow. If the file was compiled into the library with (say) ncvlog -use5x, it wouldn't have created a .cdb "shadow" file, but that is required with the OSS flow.

You should be able to use the Tools->Update Text Views menu in ADE to create the .cdb files where missing.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2009, 1:00pm

Andrew - thanks for the reply on .cdb files.  Very useful.

I actually asked Mr. Spectre himself look at the code a bit and he narrowed it down to this region.  Vreg is within our tolerance limits, but something is sequenced (initial conditions) in the simulator to catch vreg_ok=0.

I guess there are more robust ways to write this for OSS.  
How specifically, I'm not sure...

regards,
Wave

//-- vreg

always @(above(V(vreg,vssa) - vreg_min)) begin
   vreg_ok = 1;
   if(debug)
     $strobe("%t: %m: vreg_ok = %0b", $realtime, vreg_ok);
 end // vreg > vreg_min

always @(above(-1.0*(V(vreg,vssa) - vreg_min))) begin
   vreg_ok = 0;
   $strobe("%t: %m: vreg has fallen below .  vreg_min = %e", $realtime, vreg_min);
 end // vreg < vreg_min

always @(above(V(vreg,vssa) - vreg_max)) begin
   vreg_ok = 0;
   $strobe("%t: %m: ***WARNING*** vreg has risen above vreg_max.  vreg_max = %e", $realtime, vreg_max);
 end // vreg > vreg_max

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2009, 4:06pm

Hmm, not sure I can comment much without seeing more of the setup. There doesn't appear to be anything terribly unusual in that part of the code - it's doing some assertions - I guess it depends upon the interaction with other parts of the circuit.

I still don't see why OSS should behave any differently from cell-based with respect to this bit of code.

Regards,

Andrew.

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2009, 5:53pm

Wave,
   I believe you have a race condition due to an ambiguity in your code. The problem is not with the oss netlister per see. The problem is that at time=0 the value of vreg starts off 0 and then immediately shifts to a value between vreg_min and vreg_max. So it is both above and below the threshold at time 0. As a result both the first two always blocks are executed 'simultaneously', and it is indeterministic which is executed last. This is a subtle case that probably should be handled better by the simulator.  However the situation is easy to remedy. Simply start vreg at 0 and then transition it to the desired value a short time after the simulation starts.

-Ken

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.