The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:34am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
using BJTs in opamps for high-speed/accuracy pipelined ADCs (Read 1810 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

using BJTs in opamps for high-speed/accuracy pipelined ADCs
Jan 28th, 2009, 4:03am

Hi,

I have the option of using high-speed NPNs instead of NMOS devices for a high-speed and high-accuracy pipelined ADC design. How can I take advantage of these devices? Some points come to my mind, but I would be glad if someone with experience in using BJTs in such designs could comment:

1. Could potentially use as input devices in opamp but base current poses a problem. The summing node will not be high ohmic anymore, need some compensation but this will not work perfectly, can expect problems due to this. Any base current compensation will also add considerable noise.

2. Can make 2-stage amps and use the NPN in the second stage to push out the pole, but then the first stage needs PMOS transistors (=> possibly smaller Gm and higher noise from NMOS active load).

Would there be a big advantage of the BJT ? Feedback welcome.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: using BJTs in opamps for high-speed/accuracy pipelined ADCs
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2009, 5:32pm

Hi Vivek,

I have some experience on BiCMOS opamps, although not on high speed ADCs.

Most probably you already thought about this but anyway, here go a few advantages I can think of from using BJTs as opamp input devices:

- Much smaller offset and 1/f noise levels compared to their MOS counterparts (can be as smaller as 20x compared to MOS input stage)
At some point offset and noise could be important when it comes to consider the accuracy of you ADC. Having such high features might allow you to not chop (or autozero) your amplifiers if low offset / noise was a requirement, therefore simplifying your design.

- The input impedance could be highly increased by using base current cancellation techniques, which I'm not sure why you say that will add more noise. I actually used them more than once without degrading the overall noise performance of the amplifier (could you please clarify a little bit more?)

In case you are thinking of using switched-cap stages then the base current (even with the cancellation circuit) might be a problem if you get some offset: if everything was perfectly balanced same base current would go to the input switched capacitors not generating any differencial droop. A more realistic case will be such that your base currents do not perfectly match and therefore might get some problems from there.

If your stage is CT (say you have resistors at the input) then things are easier since - even without any base current cancellation - you could balance pretty well the impendace seen by both input bases to minimize in this way the input referred offset.

- Concerning 2. you could still use NPNs on the second stage with input NMOS devices going into a folded cascode load. In that way you solve the headroom problem.
Please consider the high impedance node will have somehow
smaller impedance than if you used a MOS second stage, due to the smaller input impedance of your NPN. If you use Miller compensation that will mean your dominant pole will be of higher frequency, which is good from the GBW optimization perspective but is walking towards more dificult stability conditions.

Hope this helps a bit
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2009, 3:28am

Hi Tosei,

Thanks a lot for your response. Please see my comments below:

HdrChopper wrote on Jan 29th, 2009, 5:32pm:
Hi Vivek,

- Much smaller offset and 1/f noise levels compared to their MOS counterparts (can be as smaller as 20x compared to MOS input stage)
At some point offset and noise could be important when it comes to consider the accuracy of you ADC. Having such high features might allow you to not chop (or autozero) your amplifiers if low offset / noise was a requirement, therefore simplifying your design.

Indeed, 1/f noise reduction would be achieved very nicely with BJTs, but mostly, this is not a very big issue in wideband pipelined ADCs as the thermal noise dominates much more, offset is usually also not a big problem. Of course, it is always nicer if you don't need to do autozeroing just for removing offset and 1/f.

Quote:
- The input impedance could be highly increased by using base current cancellation techniques, which I'm not sure why you say that will add more noise. I actually used them more than once without degrading the overall noise performance of the amplifier (could you please clarify a little bit more?)

I meant that the extra branches added for base current compensation would increase the noise. Of course, the noise is probably not increased a lot, but I would expect that the base current compensation network needs to have a very high bandwidth if I use it in a pipelined ADC because this must also settle quickly. So, this runs off more current and injects more noise at the opamp input. Or am I mistaken?

Quote:
In case you are thinking of using switched-cap stages then the base current (even with the cancellation circuit) might be a problem if you get some offset: if everything was perfectly balanced same base current would go to the input switched capacitors not generating any differencial droop. A more realistic case will be such that your base currents do not perfectly match and therefore might get some problems from there.

Yes! this is the issue. I know that for lower resolutions like 10 bits or so, people have managed to get away with the residual errors from the base current but I am not sure what can be done for higher resolution levels.

Quote:
If your stage is CT (say you have resistors at the input) then things are easier since - even without any base current cancellation - you could balance pretty well the impendace seen by both input bases to minimize in this way the input referred offset.

Ah! but you cannot make a pipelined ADC with CT stages.

Quote:
- Concerning 2. you could still use NPNs on the second stage with input NMOS devices going into a folded cascode load. In that way you solve the headroom problem.

You mean that the N-side active load and cascode devices are realized with NPN. This of course needs less headroom but is terribly noisy, because BJTs always have Gm=Ic/Vt, which is the exact opposite of what one wants in active loads. I think the real advantage would be if one could use BJTs where higher Gm is needed.

Quote:
Please consider the high impedance node will have somehow
smaller impedance than if you used a MOS second stage, due to the smaller input impedance of your NPN. If you use Miller compensation that will mean your dominant pole will be of higher frequency, which is good from the GBW optimization perspective but is walking towards more dificult stability conditions.

True, but maybe there is some way to optimize things. I see 2 advantages of using NPN as the second stage Gm: (1) Higher Gm for lower current and 2nd pole is pushed out easily. (2) RHP zero is avoided or atleast made insignificant with a BJT, making compensation easier. The disadvantage as I already wrote is that one needs to use a PMOS for the input of the 1st stage, which is slower and noisier (due to usually larger Gm of its NMOS active load).

Nonetheless, thanks a lot. If I can figure out a good way to overcome the base current issue (that's what haunted all those who tried to use BJTs in switched-cap filters and forced them to move to MOS where that works naturally).

Maybe I should not try to make SC circuits with BJTs.

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2009, 9:59am

Bipolar transistors -- In a nutshell:

Better input matching
Much higher transconductance
Lower noise
More predictable thermal characteristics
Source follower (emitter follower) that has much better buffering characteristics.

If you can go to input differential pairs that are bipolar the performance on offsets and noise are to your advantage.
Base current may be less of an issue than you think. Especially with today's leaky (90nm and smaller) CMOS

Bipolars do not make for nice switches and the Vbe (Vthreshold in CMOS terms) does not scale down.

my 2 cents!
Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2009, 1:19am

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your response.

I am not using 90 nm CMOS and I have MOS gates which don't leak at all. It is one
of the older processes. 1/f noise is also not a big issue as the wide bandwidth requirement on my ADC translates to a much higher white noise than 1/f. Offset is not critical.

I have basically the choice between using the standard CMOS process, or an enhanced version with super-fast BJTs in addition. If I could get significant benefits in terms of power consumption or ease of design, I might consider using the BJTs.

It would seem to me that there is not a very big gain in using BJTs in this case.

Tosei: I need to see if base-current compensation works well for me. Could you kindly post a link showing what method you use for this? Is this the standard textbook method?

Jerry: I think the availability of good buffers (in form of BJT source followers) may be useful in providing a front-end free of the usual switching capacitor although I need to look carefully at the noise and headroom penalties associated with this.

Best regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2009, 8:55pm

The headroom is an issue in many cases yes. CMOS scales threshold voltage with power and Moores law shrinking. Vbe is pretty fixed

(if the temperature isnt changing) Smiley

I would run some simulations and see if you can survive without them, the wafers will probably cost less.

Jerry Twomey
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2009, 12:13am

loose-electron wrote on Feb 10th, 2009, 8:55pm:
The headroom is an issue in many cases yes. CMOS scales threshold voltage with power and Moores law shrinking. Vbe is pretty fixed

(if the temperature isnt changing) Smiley

I would run some simulations and see if you can survive without them, the wafers will probably cost less.

Hi Jerry,

I agree with you that the wafers would cost less and of course I myself would use just MOS. However, the question of interest here is whether the use of a BJT would allow enough improvement in performance/power consumption for a high-perf. ADC (think 14-16 bits, few Msps or so) that one may consider using them. If there is a significant technical advantage (and maybe we can even add some good functions upfront like a good input buffer for the device, then maybe the cost does not look so bad at the end.

For me, it is not clear what impact the use of the BJT base current (remaining current after base current compensation) has on high-accuracy switched-cap circuits.

Regards,

Vivek

P.S.: We have our own foundry and so it does not cost an arm and a leg even to add RF BJTs

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2009, 12:53pm

If you are willing to include compensation and adjustment circuits (offset, INL, DNL, etc) to align your converter then MOS gets it done. In cases where inherent noise (flicker and thermal) are a big issue then a bipolar front end can have some advantadges.

Truth be known we are all putting out chips in CMOS today that 10 years back they said could never be done in CMOS. People hung onto bipolar, BiCMOS and GaAs designs for a while because thats what they were used to.

Mismatch problems and gain variance got circumvented by digital adjustment methods. Flicker noise and offsets got circumvented by chopper amplifiers. Good engineers define the problem and then find a way to fix or circumvent the issue.

At the bit counts you are talking, if its BJT or CMOS you are going to end up doing calibration and support tweaks to get things working straight, so without a compelling reason to use BJT, I would probably try to get it all running in CMOS.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 6:33pm

Hello Vivek,

I think we attended the advanced analog design mead course in Lausanne a few years ago.  I hope you have been doing well since then.

I stumbled upon this thread and I have one comment that hasn't been brought up yet.

Please be careful with the bipolars if you use them as in my experience I have found that more effort is put into accurate cmos models and less effort into the bipolar models.

Good luck with your design,
Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:20pm

Hello Dan,

Indeed, the accuracy of BJT models is generally not so good, but if one has a dedicated BiCMOS process, then this may be not such a big problem. It is however an important point to check.

Thanks for writing. I have also sent you a PM.

Best regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2009, 7:50am

Hi vivkr! I raided your parts box at OSU!

Hi Dan! I helped you design something!

Hi everyone else! Yes, I am procrastinating today!

Re BiCMOS, yes, bipolar can help. Higher gm, higher output impedance, faster mirrors. To give you some ideas look at the 2006 JSSC paper "A 100-dB SFDR 80-MSPS 14-Bit 0.35-μm BiCMOS Pipeline ADC"

Also, base current cancellation will at least double noise power since the current used to cancel the original base current is uncorrelated with the original base current.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.