The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 10:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hysteresis in a comparator (Read 3363 times)
arunm

Chennai, India
hysteresis in a comparator
Feb 03rd, 2009, 8:09pm

I am designing a continuous-time comparator. The typical signal to it is a ramp. The ramp slope can be really small. I want to make sure that the output doesn't toggle near the comparison point. But I am not sure how much hysteresis to put in.
Disturbances from power supply and other coupling can be quantified, but what about noise? Whatever hysteresis I put in, if the input signal slope is really small, then low frequency flicker noise can make the output toggle right?
I would like to know if this is really a practical concern, and if it is, how do we go about solving this?

View Profile arunm arunm_ece   IP Logged
Asmodeus

Re: hysteresis in a comparator
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2009, 2:28am

Why don't you use a preamp before the comparator. It will solve maximum of your problems. Well it depends on the exact application but usually preamplifiers come handy in these problems. Smiley

~VJ~
View Profile Asmodeus   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2009, 8:45pm

Agreed - you should get the signal amplified up to the point where offsets, flicker/thermal noise are no longer a concern. Suggest that you define the limits and characteristics of your input signal and then go from there.

Also, any comparator has limited gain, its not infinite, so you will be dealing with a linear response if you are trying to make a decision with a small input.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2009, 6:24pm

Hi,

I also agree with the pre-amp idea. Nevertheless, here are a couple of additional thoughts:

1) Quantify the incoming noise: assuming it is gaussian noise, either flicker or white noise, the pk-pk noise will be given by 6σ. Therefore you could quantify the hysteresis of your comparator based on this number as a minimum required.
2) In case the incoming noise is larger than what you can afford for the comparator hysteresis and for any reason you cannot use a preamp, if it is flicker noise you could chop the amplifier (and you should clock your comparator too) so that you remove the flicker component from your signal band (in addition you would be removing the comparator offset component too).
3) You could add an analog delay at the comparator output: for example integrating a current into a cap will allow filtering some of the noise driven toggling your comparator might experience. This delay might or might not be an option depending on your application

Hope this also helps
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
arunm

Chennai, India
Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2009, 8:42pm

Thanks a lot for your replies.

View Profile arunm arunm_ece   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.