The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 12:31pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
amplifier with "Dynamic Gain" (Read 1845 times)
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
amplifier with "Dynamic Gain"
Feb 14th, 2009, 5:18am

Hello to all,

has anybody heard about an amplifier parameter called "dynamic gain" defined in the TIME domain as the ratio of output to input voltage ?
This definition would lead to a gain variation between zero and infinite, because input and output are going through zero at different times for real amplifiers with phase shift.
Thank you.
Regards to all.
Buddypoor

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: amplifier with "Dynamic Gain"
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2009, 3:12am

Hi,

I don't know if this is what you mean but there are amplifiers used in sensing and detection applications which are based on radar principles. Here, you may be trying to "sound" a material to observe its structural properties.

In order to partially compensate for the variations in attenuation levels experienced by signals reflected from near and far targets, the gain of the amplifier is usually increased with time, starting from an initial value (when near target echos arrive) to a larger final value (when far target echos arrive at the receiver).

However, I don't know if the term "dynamic gain" is used here. If you are more interested, just read some apps on ultrasound applications.

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: amplifier with "Dynamic Gain"
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2009, 8:16am

Hello vivek,

thank you for your reply and your attempt to clarify my question.
In principle, my question concerns an amplifying device and - more or less - you have confirmed my assumption that it makes no sense to define a parameter as mentioned in my first post.
This parameter "dynamic gain" was mentioned by an experienced man during a conversation/discussion with me and I doubt if it makes sense to calculate in the time domain the ratio of momentary values of output and input voltages.  
Thank you and regards

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.