The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 8:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
May I run Monte Carlo in parallel? (Read 3224 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
May I run Monte Carlo in parallel?
Feb 26th, 2009, 7:32pm

Hi Guys,

It often takes a long time to run Monte Carlo, say a Monte Carlo with 100 runs. Normally the 100 runs goes on one by one. Can I make them done in parallel given that the server has 8 CPU.

The Cadence version is Virtuoso Front to Back Design Environment 5.10.41_USR3.27.30. The linux server has 8 CPUs.

Thanks in advance.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: May I run Monte Carlo in parallel?
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2009, 2:40am

Yawei,

You can do this. You need to use "distributed" mode in ADE. This supports the basic "LBS" distributed mode that we ship, LSF, and in later IC5141 versions than the one you're using, SGE. It also supports a "command mode" where  you can specify the command to queue the job. In versions such as the version you're using, SGE is also available via a workaround wrapper (ask your hotline support for solution 11015590) if you need this.

If you want to be able to just "distribute" onto the local machine, you could do the following:

• Create a queue file somewhere, containing:
    Code:
    myqueue 1
    localhost 8 

This tells it to specify a queue made up of a single machine, which allows 8 jobs
  • Invoke:
    Code:
    cdsqmgr /full/path/to/queue.config 

• Specify the machine is running the cdsqmgr process:
    Code:
    setenv LBS_CLUSTER_MASTER localhost 

• Start icfb, and when starting ADE use Setup->Simulator/Dir/Host and pick "distributed" as the choice
  • Start Monte Carlo. Setup as before. When you run the simulation, you'll get a popup asking you to specify job options, and one (at the bottom of the form) is the number of jobs you want it to split into (I'm in Windows so can't check if it's this, or the number of points you want to do in each run - but it's something like that)

This is all covered in <ICinstDir>/doc/distproc/distproc.pdf

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: May I run Monte Carlo in parallel?
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2009, 8:14pm

Andrew,

It's realy cool. Thank you.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.