The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 12:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Substrate resistance calculation (Read 1103 times)
Visjnoe

Substrate resistance calculation
Mar 03rd, 2009, 12:43pm

Dear all,

is it possible to have a first-order calculation of the substrate resistivity between 2 points? I know this can be done by dedicated extraction tools, but can one make an estimation by handcalculations?
Furthermore, the substrate resistivity is expressed in [Ωcm], e.g. 20Ωcm. But I don't understand this unit. Resistance is multiplied by length (instead of divided by length)?

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: Substrate resistance calculation
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2009, 6:29pm

Hi,

[Ωcm] is the unit for the material resistivity. Remember that resistivity is defined as ρ=R×A/L, where R is the resistance, A the section and L the lenght.
For diffusion resisitor is it usual to spec their resistivity instead of sheet resistance.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:42pm

Dear Tosei,

Yes, I know that formula. I was confused with the unit Ωcm because I focused on the '1/L' term. But together with the 'A' term you end up indeed with a single dimension, thus indeed cm.

Given that number, how can you proceed to have an estimate of resistivity between 2 points on a die? You could just measure the distance I guess and apply the above formula, but since you have several parallel paths...
Maybe it's just too complicated to estimate by hand.

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
ci

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2009, 8:54am

The substrate resistance between two points depends also on the current distribution, which then depends on the substrate type, doping profile, and what devices are placed between these two points.   Diffusions or deep trench isolations that cut into channel stopper layer increase the resistance.  Near end and far end effects also matter.  In general the sheet resistance given in the design guide of the fabrication technology is a good starting approximation; however, this alone is not enough to be able to estimate the noise coupling through the substrate.  

Regards,
Cosmin
http://www.noisecoupling.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2009, 9:10am

Thanks for all your inputs.

At the moment, I take as rough estimate the above formula,
where I take for A = w*h with w the width of the chip and h the substrate thickness,
for l the distance between both points and ρ provided by the foundry (10Ωcm in my case).

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.