The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 9:10am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem with HSPICE (Read 4274 times)
pgbackup

Problem with HSPICE
Mar 16th, 2009, 9:00am

Hi all,

I'm running the latest HSPICE release from Synopsys: hspice-C-2009.03.
I have a model for a carbon nanotube transistor developed by a university. I am trying to simulate a basic inverter.  I run my the simulation as follows: 'hspice inv.sp >run.log'.

I'm getting an error. Upon examining run.log, I see the following errors:

**error** the output variable used in the algebraic equation of element
   7:gbtbt            does not exist.

7:g_qtotal         does not exist.

7:g_qchannel       does not exist.

When I dig in closely to the model, the above errors result from these lines (in cnfet.lib):

GCNT         Drain        Source        CUR='JFET(V(Drain,Source),photon,V(phib,Sub))'
GBTBT      Drain        Source          CUR='J_btbt(V(Drain,Source),I(GCNT),V(phib,Sub))'
G_Qtotal         Vdrain     phib        CUR='charge_channel(V(Vdrain),V(Vgate),V(Vsource),V(VsubM),V(phib,Sub))'
G_Qchannel       phib       Sub         CUR='charge_total(V(Vdrain),V(Vsource),V(phib,Sub))'
GCNT       Source       Drain           CUR='JFET(V(Vdrain,Vsource),photon,V(phib,Sub))'
GBTBT      Source       Drain           CUR='J_btbt(V(Vdrain,Vsource),I(GCNT),V(phib,Sub))'

The current version of HSPICE doesn't like the fact that CUR is not defined as a variable? Since I'm not an expert in SPICE, I'm not sure how I can fix this problem.

I was able to simulate this circuit fine in and older HSPICE release without any problems.

Can someone tell me how I fix the above  problem? I tried adding .PARAM CUR to the cnfet.lib file but that didn't fix it.

I'm also attaching the complete files if anyone wants to see

Thanks for any ideas.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
pgbackup

Re: Problem with HSPICE
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2009, 9:02am

The files are attached. Its cnfet.zip

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2009, 2:28pm

It looks like it's not complaining about GCNT, which also uses CUR, so either you didn't put in all the errors (don't know why you put in 3 if not all), or else CUR isn't the problem.

Is J_btbt defined properly?  I see this in the lib file you uploaded:

.PARAM J_btbt(Vds,Ids,phib)='coeffj*kT*(Jbtbt_sub_1(Vds,Ids)*Tbtbt1(Vds,phib) + \\
                                       Jbtbt_sub_2(Vds,Ids)*Tbtbt2(Vds,phib))'

Maybe the new version doesn't like th \\ newline inside the 'quotes' ?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
pgbackup

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2009, 7:28pm

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I agree it is not complaining about GCNT. run.log contains all the errors that hspice lists outs.

Since I have not written the model, I am not sure if the syntax is correct. However, I was able to simulate using this library on a 2007 version of HSPICE. I have contacted the developers to see if they can help fix this issue.

I looked at the "\\" and tried removing it but to not avail. There were also two spaces "  +" before the plus sign. But that didn't seem to work either.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
spiceoracle

USA
Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2009, 1:43pm

I'm not sure what the problem is.

I've run your testcase using HSPICE C-2009.03 on a number of different machines.  HSPICE runs successfully and does not give the error messages that you have seen.  The only difference I see is that the machine that I used that is similar to the one that you used is the OS version.

View Profile   IP Logged
pgbackup

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2009, 9:53pm

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to try the test case out. I was able to solve this problem a few back. I was running Fedora 10 and the problem was happening. This OS is not supported by Synopsys. I switched to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (which is supported) and the problem was gone. I guess it must have been some string processing/parsing libraries causing the strange errors.

On the other hand, I guess when EDA vendors means they only support a particular OS, they really mean it  :)

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.