The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 4:38am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modelling Resistor (Read 1998 times)
nishant22

Modelling Resistor
Mar 17th, 2009, 12:59pm

I have to model a variable resistor, the model exists as schematic at transistor level and I wana model it top level but still retaining the functionality. So, as I have to model the resistance of the circuit which should just check if the voltage is near to the supply voltage, the output should be whatever my input is. But as the voltage gets below vdda(765mV)-0.1 the resistance should increase linearly(i do not have fixed value with which it should decrease) and output voltage should vary based on resistance and as it gets near the minimum voltage 0 V the resistnace should be around 1G just to make my output voltage really small. I tried modelling it as
I(vdda, out) <+ (I(vdda, bias) <= V(vdda, vssa) ) ? I(vdda, bias) :I(vdda, out)/(I(vdda, bias)/V(vdda, bias));
But i get convergence issues so is there a better way to model the resistance. As my input is current as I(bias) i also define what should be direction by I(vdda, bias) <+ V(vdda, bias)/5000;
Can someone help and suggest what can be a better way. Also as the outputs go as inputs to other block I would like them to as well detect the change in input current and change accordingly, so i definitely need to get this block working as I would expect it to be. I thought to model it as switch but that would not retain the workin of transistor as I would like to.
Thanks,
Nishant

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Modelling Resistor
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2009, 7:42am

That equation is a mess!  What happens if V(vdda,bias) = 0 ?  then the equation has a division by zero!

You need to write a function that is continuous in at least the first derivative, the more the better, for convergence.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.