The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 2:26am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Reading material for base station transmitter design (Read 10373 times)
sandman
Community Member

Reading material for base station transmitter design
Mar 20th, 2009, 8:22am

Hi all!

I'm looking for 'good' and detailed reading material on : "multi-mode, multi-band base station transmitter design for GSM, 3G and LTE" - books, tutorials, app. notes, design guides, theses etc.

There are a few companies out there that work in this area, but hardly any that share info (incl. ones like Agilent!).

I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I put it here thinking it might be most relevant to this subject-topic.

B.t.w., IEEE Xplore and Google searches didn't help significantly, so any solid info and/or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Reading material for base station transmitter design
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2009, 8:38am

sandman wrote on Mar 20th, 2009, 8:22am:
"multi-mode, multi-band base station transmitter design for GSM, 3G and LTE"

What do you put on emphasis as your biggest interest ?
System architecture such as Software Radio ?
Building Block to realize necessary specification ?

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2009, 9:57am

Hi pancho_hideboo,

I'm trying understand the basics of transmit RF-front end architectures (incl. the modulation aspect of it), for mobile comm. base stations, multi-mode and multi-band ... ones that support several mobile communications in parallel - this, because I'm studying them in comparison...

So,.. system architecture of the RF - TX  but at the same time, a focus on hardware power consumption as well!

If you have info on how to implement these requirements, that would also be very welcome!  :)

View Profile   IP Logged
DaveB

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2009, 5:04pm

There's a lot of publications on-line on multi-mode, multi-band design, although a lot of it revolves around the handset. I haven't really been following the base station market, so I haven't come across many base station focused articles. In general, you need to meet the specifications for all of the systems you intend on meeting, so you'll need to get the specifications for all of the systems and figure out the limiting requirements for both wideband and narrow band systems. Switching between systems will require some attention as well.

You'll probably want to look at Digital Pre-distortion papers, as that's one of the technologies that comes up frequently

Dave
www.keystoneradio.com

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2009, 9:21pm

DaveB wrote on Mar 20th, 2009, 5:04pm:
You'll probably want to look at Digital Pre-distortion papers

You should also look at Papers on Polar Modulator.

sandman
Community Member

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2009, 5:55am

pancho_hideboo wrote on Mar 20th, 2009, 9:21pm:
DaveB wrote on Mar 20th, 2009, 5:04pm:
You'll probably want to look at Digital Pre-distortion papers

You should also look at Papers on Polar Modulator.

Thanks pancho_hideboo. I've been looking at Polar Modulators for some time, but there's little info, from the base station perspective. Are you aware of any good book rather than papers that present this in comparison to quadrature modulators at systems and/or block level ?

Thanks Dave. I agree. There's very little on the BTS side of things. But digital pre-distortion is limited only to the PA sub-system. It doesn't deal with the other components of the Tx, or that's what I understand.

But if there's anyone out there who has anything to share (from my 1st post above), please do share! Thanks and Cheers!

View Profile   IP Logged
DaveB

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2009, 8:45pm

Based on the analysis I've done, I've come to the conclusion that polar modulators are difficult, if not impossible, to implements for wide bandwidth signals (signal bandwidths greater than a MHz or so). two things come into play here, One is the difficulty of generating phase/frequency modulation of the required bandwidth, the other is the difficulty of achieving the required Amplitude/phase matching. You need to be able to align the signals to within a small fraction (think 1/20 of a symbol) to meet mask performance. If you are looking at multimode designs, you might be better off looking at a DDS source, as current consumption might not be such an issue. Galton at UCSD has been doing some interesting work on Delta Sigma RF transmitters, which might be interesting to look at if you can do IC design.

I'm not familiar with any published books that go into an detail on Polar transmitters. There are a few PhD dissertations I've come across that discuss Polar transmitters, but nothing I currently have access to.

Dave

View Profile   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2009, 6:34am

Thanks for the inputs, Dave. Also L.E. Larson had some interesting papers on his website and I even remember being in one of his related presentations in Europe some time ago.

But, in spite of the issues in its implementation there are quite a few companies like Skyworks that have been successful in implementing the polar schemes.

Since I'm looking for the basics, would you or anyone here know where I can trace any (of those) theses, that directly/indirectly deal with these issues?

View Profile   IP Logged
DaveB

Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2009, 6:14am

Polar modulation works OK for narrower bandwidths, like GSM and EDGE. The advantage there is that the out of band emissions of a polar modulator are somewhat lower than an I/Q modulator, allowing you to meet the 20 MHz offset noise requirements without a filter in the transmit lineup. Take a look at the JSSCC for 2004 and 2005, there were several polar transmitter papers published that go into the details.

Dave

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2009, 6:25am

DaveB wrote on Mar 24th, 2009, 6:14am:
Polar modulation works OK for narrower bandwidths, like GSM and EDGE.

How do you think of ACPR and EVM for polar modulation ?

Polar modulation is suitable for high ACPR ?
Polar modulation have any advantage for achieving good EVM ?

DaveB

Reply #10 - Mar 24th, 2009, 4:00pm

ACPR and EVM are both system level performance requirements. You'll need to meet those regardless of whether you are using Quadrature/Polar/DDS transmitter designs.

Dave

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #11 - Mar 24th, 2009, 6:09pm

DaveB wrote on Mar 24th, 2009, 4:00pm:
ACPR and EVM are both system level performance requirements. You'll need to meet those regardless of whether you are using Quadrature/Polar/DDS transmitter designs.
It is very common.
But each modulation architecture have advantages and disadvantages.

As a simple example, if we realize a constant envelope modulation such as FSK, direct modulation of VCO is superior than I/Q modulation regarding EVM or modulation accracy.

If we use DDS to achieve high ACPR, I think DDS is not so superior regarding current consumption.

Predistitortion using I/Q modulator for improving ACPR is well known.
But how to improve ACPR using polar modulator ?
If we use Delta-Sigma modulation in polar modulation system. clock speed must be very fast.
So current consumption will be very large.

My question is :
How do you think of merit or demerit of polar modulation in achieving good ACPR and EVM compared to I/Q modulator ?
Especially if we will aim at multi-mode transmitter.

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2009, 6:09am by pancho_hideboo »  
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #12 - Mar 24th, 2009, 7:59pm

My opinion is that pure polar modulation is not good for multi-standard multi-mode. However, envelope tracking (UCSD) offers some possibilities that pure polar cannot.

It is more difficult to meet ACLR specifications for WCDMA and EVM for OFDM using polar.
Why? Because in pure polar even static errors in the system yield nonlinearity in the output signal.
Why? Because polar only works perfectly when two nonlinear functions are multiplied perfectly (amplitude and phase). Any error in the alignment of amplitude and phase generates nonlinear distortion.

Envelope tracking offers more flexibility since the amplitude modulator does not need to track the amplitude modulation perfectly, but there is a slight reduction in efficiency for this offset.

A predistortion system is needed to overcome the fine alignment errors even in envelope tracking systems.

The next problem is bandwidth. The amplitude and phase signals are nonlinear functions of the I/Q modulation, so each takes significantly more bandwidth than the original signal, so the dataconverters must be higher speed and the modulator bandwidths must be 2-3x what would be necesary for I/Q modulation.
This is an obvious problem for wideband OFDM signals.

But the benefit is potentially significantly better overall power efficiency which is beneficial for basestations even if there is some additional cost and complexity.

View Profile   IP Logged
DaveB

Reply #13 - Mar 25th, 2009, 7:35pm

Hi RFICDude:

The problem you face is that you while you might get 5% or 10% Improvement in PA power added efficiency with a large signal Polar approach, you have to be very careful not to eat that current up in the predistortion / faster data converters etc. Add in the additional design time, and Polar doesn't look so attractive. Keep in mind that once you have a fully re-constructed signal, with both amplitude and phase, your linearity requirements and PA backoff requirements are the same as with Quadrature modulation, so there's no power savings there.

Dave

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #14 - Mar 30th, 2009, 1:30am

DaveB wrote on Mar 25th, 2009, 7:35pm:
Keep in mind that once you have a fully re-constructed signal, with both amplitude and phase, your linearity requirements and PA backoff requirements are the same as with Quadrature modulation, so there's no power savings there.
I don't think so.
In I/Q modulator, we have to have PA after I/Q mod. This efficiency of this PA can not so good even if we use predistortion.
Maybe you assume post PA after Polar Modulation System. Right ?

My opinions are :
- Polar Modulation System is not suited to Multi-Band
- Polar Modulation System is not suited to achieve high ACPR(ACLR)
- There could be a possibility to achieve good power added efficiency in Polar Modulation System
  if compared to I/Q Modulator + Post-PA with Predistortion which is currently widely adopted.

« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2009, 9:41am by pancho_hideboo »  
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.