The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 4:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maximum time limit in WaveScan and AWD (Read 8633 times)
R. Zakai

Maximum time limit in WaveScan and AWD
Mar 25th, 2009, 11:45am

It seems like the waveform viewers, AWD and WaveScan both, in the ADE environment have some sort of maximum time limit. They do not seem to plot results beyond ~1.8seconds even if the simulation was successful in going beyond that and saved the results. Does anyone know how to fix this?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Maximum time limit in WaveScan and AWD
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2009, 8:31am

I'm guessing that this might be due to the combination of tool versions you're using. There's no maximum time in the waveform tool, but there are some limits to file size.

In earlier spectre versions (prior to MMSIM61) transient simulation data was broken up into 2Gbyte chunks, and then this could be read in IC5141.

In newer (MMSIM61 and later) spectre supports large results files - more than 2G. These can be read directly in IC61, but not in IC5141.

If using IC5141 with MMSIM61 or later, you need to set some environment variables to tell spectre (or Ultrasim) to use the older "chunk" mode:

For Spectre writing PSF data:

setenv PSF_WRITE_CHUNK_MODE_ON true

For UltraSim writing PSF data:

setenv PSF_LARGE_FILE_ON false

But I am guessing to some extent, because I don't know what tool versions you're using, or which output format (SST2 or PSF), for example.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2009, 6:07am

The times stamps come in as 64bit-IEEE-754 which has 52-bit mantissa. I assume that this is a programmers decision if for instance 1fs=1e-15sec is used as minimum time step.

I remember to have seen in PSF data that the minimum time step is also stored. But I am not sure. Then the normalization is a wise decision from the programmer.

log(1.8/1e-15)/log(2)=50.6769, very near the 52 mantissa

Try to change either a default number for the waveform tool or detect if some minimum time step is transfered from simulator to waveform.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2009, 8:52am

Actually with PSF, the data is floating point (double precision by default), so you won't have this problem - all that happens is that potentially you lose time resolution on very long simulations with very short timesteps - but you'll hit the same problem in the simulator itself, in fact - so it's quite unusual.

I suspect you're talking about SST2 format - in which case I think (I may be wrong) the time is actually integer, and based around a minimum timestep. There have been some issues with that, but I think these have been resolved. Still this is again guesswork, as I don't know what version or what format the original poster is using.

Regards,

Andrew.

R. Zakai

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2009, 10:22am

Thanks Andrew and rf_design for your comments. I am using ICFB 5.10.41 environment and spectre version is MMSIM62. I am 100% sure this is not a file size issue. tran.tran.trn file in the psf directory is only 4k bytes. I have a very simple test case. Take a vpulse, set it up for 2.5kHz operation with 1V peak. Do a long transient analysis, say 5 seconds and see the voltage output of the source either in AWD or WaveScan. The output in my case only goes out to 1.8447s.

Rehan

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2009, 2:27pm

I don't have the opportunity to test your example right now, but as a workaround, try doing this before starting ADE:

Code:
envSetVal("spectre.envOpts" "simOutputFormat" 'string "psfbin") 

in the CIW, and then start ADE and see if the problem is resolved. I think this might be a problem of finite precision of SST2 (that's what you were using, given the filename you mentioned) - but I'd like to check to be sure.

Can you let me know the subversion of IC5141 you're using (Help->About... in the CIW will tell you this)

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.