The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 8:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
taking advantage of spectre turbo? (Read 2575 times)
Aigneryu

taking advantage of spectre turbo?
Apr 01st, 2009, 4:51pm

I can use spectre turbo to accelerate the transient simulation drastically. However, this cute feature does not seem to work with PSS. Is there any way to effectively (or equivalently) use spectre turbo for the initial tstab? For example, run transient first and save the final state as the initial condition?

My problem is: I have some signal sources with initial delays and some piecewise linear voltage source in PSS. If the PSS cannot continue the simulation at the time point where the transient ends, it will not help a lot.

Does anyone have any comment on this?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: taking advantage of spectre turbo?
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2009, 2:33pm

I think the only option you have is to use writefinal in the tran, and then readic (referencing the file you wrote with writefinal) and skipdc=yes on the pss, together with specifying the start time as the end time of the previous tran analysis. There is the ability with tran to save a state, but I don't think (if my memory is correct) the saved state from transient can be used as a recover file for pss.

The other thing to consider is whether you really need such a long tstab. Often people use tstab to reach the settled behaviour of the circuit, whereas the shooting method will do that for you in many cases.

BTW, Turbo does help with harmonic balance (and I think the core shooting), but not the initial transient (yet!).

You should also contact Cadence, preferrably with a good illustration of why you need this (this all helps), to ask for turbo to be extended to the initial transient for PSS.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Aigneryu

Re: taking advantage of spectre turbo?
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2009, 11:49am

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the info. Actually I also thought of this write/read final state trick. But at that time I just could not find where I can set the start time as I do in trans analysis. But I just found it sitting in the very end of the pss setup menu. It does not come right after the time step control section as the trans analysis menu.

Sincerely,

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.