The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 4:33pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Subthreshold design help (Read 2484 times)
oermens
Community Member

Subthreshold design help
Apr 02nd, 2009, 11:47am

Hi, I am interested in sub-vth analog/rf design and I am wondering how to relate my hand calculations using EKV model to simulation results using BSIM4 models. Mainly I am interested in how much stock I should put into the 'region' parameter. I want to design for weak inversion, which Vittoz says is the same as the more common term, subthreshold. When I do a DC sweep of Vgs I find the region for which the device is in subthreshold (region 3), but when I apply a ramp input (Vpulse with long rise time) and plot the region parameter from transient result, the value of Vg for which the device is in region 3 is not the same as the result obtained in DC. Is this correct? Should I not consider this parameter and only focus on Inversion Coefficient? Also the spectre model guide states that in subthreshold the only device capacitance is Cgb, however I am seeing nonzero capacitances for all capacitances whose values are greater than Cgb by several orders of magnitude in some cases (self-capacitances on the order of pF). What is the reason for this?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Subthreshold design help
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2009, 5:04pm

Many model sets are done at the foundry that do not have the parameters properly set for sub threshold and micro currents.

Go get the foundry data on you models and see how low you have data based on silicon, actually getting used in the models.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
wladek

Commugny, VD
Re: Subthreshold design help
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2009, 5:17am

let me recommend following readings:
  • D. Stefanovic and M. Kayal 'Structured Analog CMOS Design'; Series: Analog Circuits and Signal Processing, 2009, ISBN: 978-1-4020-8572-7
  • Paul G.A. Jespers; 'The gm/ID Design Methodology for CMOS Analog Low Power Integrated Circuits'; ISBN: 978-0-387-47100-6
  • D. M. Binkley; 'Tradeoffs and Optimization in Analog CMOS Design', ISBN: 978-0-470-03136-0

View Profile WWW wladek60   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.