The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 10:07pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Passing monte carlo parameters to verilog-a module. (Read 4631 times)
cgt

Stockholm
Passing monte carlo parameters to verilog-a module.
Apr 02nd, 2009, 3:10pm

Hi,
I have a similar problem as neoflash. I run Cadence verilog-a and in the PDK there are variables defined in an include file (like process spread for monte carlo for example).
I whould like to pass some of those parameters to a verilog-a module.
My goal is to be able to determine the current R*C constant in a
@(initial_step) command so that it can be used to set a bus (calibration) value before each AC simulation in monte carlo.

It seems like the parameters defined in an include file is not global to the rest of the netlist (at least not inside modules) but I may be wrong...

Thanks in advance for any hint,  CGT

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Passing monte carlo parameters to verilog-a module.
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2009, 2:43pm

Inside Verilog-A you can't (I think) reference Spectre global parameters; instead you must pass them into the veriloga module.

So you could (in the CDF for Verilog-A cell) have localParam=globalParam and then it should be possible.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Re: Passing monte carlo parameters to verilog-a module.
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2009, 7:36pm

In older versions of spectre that don't support localParam, or doing this sort of funny thing with the global params in the cdf, what I did was to add a subcircuit to my modelfiles that would turn the modelfile parameter of interest to a voltage or current of a DC block.

With a structural instantiation of that block, I had access to the variable for my testbench controller.  back in 2007 on ic5141 that was about the only way to do it.

I think I may have documented this in one of my 2007 papers?
(see bmas 2007 archives) at www.bmas-conf.org for one of them.

Of course a better way to do this is always preferred.
jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.