The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 9:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Samle and hold and ADC (Read 1689 times)
seahs

Samle and hold and ADC
Apr 08th, 2009, 9:56pm

I am designing a double sampling SHA(Sample and Hold Amplifier), the clock is 200MHz, which is equivalent to 400MHz in normal SHA. The signal is 40MHz.

The measured 4th, 6th, 9th and 11th harmonics are very high, which may be due to the intermoduation of clock and signal.

I read from a paper which says the those harmonics will not effect the performace and can be neglected.

Can anybody give some information why it is so?

Thanks a lot!

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Samle and hold and ADC
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2009, 10:43pm

hi,
   i think you have lot of non linearity in your S/H ckt,so better keep Vgs  of sampling transistor is constant irrespective of signal variations...I guess the following paper may useful.And please post your S/H circuit.

A 1.5-V, 10-bit, 14.3-MS/s CMOS pipeline analog-to-digital converter A. Abo and P. Gray, IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, May 1999
check fig 7 in that ..

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Samle and hold and ADC
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2009, 11:36pm

seahs wrote on Apr 8th, 2009, 9:56pm:
I am designing a double sampling SHA(Sample and Hold Amplifier), the clock is 200MHz, which is equivalent to 400MHz in normal SHA. The signal is 40MHz.

The measured 4th, 6th, 9th and 11th harmonics are very high, which may be due to the intermoduation of clock and signal.

I read from a paper which says the those harmonics will not effect the performace and can be neglected.

Can anybody give some information why it is so?

Thanks a lot!

Please be so kind as to post some concrete information (paper reference, summary of arguments you think would make these distortion components irrelevant). Otherwise, nobody can advise you. In any case, I fail to see why large distortion in the sample-and-hold is noncritical.

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.