The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 12:56pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Driven and Autonomous Circuit Simulation using Harmonic Balance (Read 1935 times)
Tohidian

Driven and Autonomous Circuit Simulation using Harmonic Balance
Apr 15th, 2009, 11:01pm

I have a question about oscillator simulation using Harmonic Balance.

I have an autonomous circuit (an LC oscillator) and one other independent signal source (single tone). The oscillator frequency is f0 and that of signal source is f1. When these frequencies are away enough from each other (for example f0=1GHz and f1=3MHz), HB simulation results are just like that of transient simulation.

But, when these frequencies are close to each other (f0=1GHz and f1=10kHz), HB result is different from transient simulation (and in this situation, transient simulation takes long time).

Although several options have been tested in HB simulation, the problem still exist. These simulations have been done in both ADS and HSPICERF.

Where is the problem about HB?

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Driven and Autonomous Circuit Simulation using Harmonic Balance
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2009, 4:03am

Tohidian wrote on Apr 15th, 2009, 11:01pm:
The oscillator frequency is f0 and that of signal source is f1.

When these frequencies are away enough from each other (for example f0=1GHz and f1=3MHz),
HB simulation results are just like that of transient simulation.

But, when these frequencies are close to each other (f0=1GHz and f1=10kHz),
HB result is different from transient simulation (and in this situation, transient simulation takes long time).

I think f0 and f1 in latter case are away enough from each other than former case.
Don't you have some mistakes ?

Tohidian wrote on Apr 15th, 2009, 11:01pm:
These simulations have been done in both ADS and HSPICERF.
Where is the problem about HB?
Show me netlist of ADS.
Show me graphs of results for both HB and Transient.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.