The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 7:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about slew rate of fully differential amp!! (Read 137 times)
Yutao Liu
Community Member

Guangzhou, China
Question about slew rate of fully differential amp!!
Apr 24th, 2009, 2:02am

Hi everyone,
I have a schematic of fully differential amp shown below. I am sure that the negative slew rate is I9/Cc. But I am confused about the positive slew rate.

In my opinion, M1 and M3 is shunt down when a large step signal is stimulated in vin+, so only the current from M11 would charge the compensation capacitor Cc and CL. Therefore, the positive slew rate seems to be I11/(Cc+CL).

However, I don't understand whether the current of M12 affects the slew rate and how it affect the circuit.

Can anybody help?

Thanks a lot!

scheme.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
subgold
Community Member

Re: Question about slew rate of fully differential amp!!
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2009, 3:09am

based on what you have described, you still treat the amp in a single-ended manner. for fully differential signal, M11 and M12 are playing the same role on slewing, one for positive slewing and the other for negative slewing.

View Profile   IP Logged
Asmodeus

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2009, 3:42am

Hi, what i am getting from the schematic is that if you use it in fully diff configuration, when V0+ rises, V0- falls. So, M12 current will definitely affect the slew rate, when Vo- is rising & V0+ is falling.

If u r not taking, differential output and taking single ended output, them M12 current ain't very imp for slew rate.

Please tell me if i missed something.

~VJ~
View Profile Asmodeus   IP Logged
Yutao Liu
Community Member

Guangzhou, China
Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2009, 4:08am

so, what is the slew rate of this circuit when treating it as fully differential amplifier?

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2009, 6:41pm

Hi,

I would say that, since you are driving a capacitve load M9,10,11 and 12 will have larger bias currents than M3,4,5,6. Therefore the -ve slew rate will be given by I3/CC and I6/CC while the +ve slew rate will be I4/CC and I5/CC. In this case I3=I6 under -ve slew rate condition and I4=I5 under +ve slew rate conditions assuming a balanced amplifier.

Hope this helps
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.