The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 12:32am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
basic question on noise equations (Read 171 times)
yvkrishna

basic question on noise equations
Apr 25th, 2009, 1:16pm

Hi,

If we consider the thermal noise eqn of mosfet it looks like this : id^2 = 4KT*gamma*gm;

which means noise contribution is directly proportional to gm,

but if I look at the input referred voltage noise of the same its 4KT*gamma/gm which is inv prop to gm, thats why I am a bit confused.

so should we have high gm or low gm for a mosfet  to get less noise contribution from it?

Please clarify this.

Thanks
vamshi

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: basic question on noise equations
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2009, 6:35pm

Hi vamshi,

If you consider the noise in saturation region then gm is proportional √ID. therefore ID increases with gm^2.
Consequently, since noise increase with gm the SNR ID/id^2 increases with gm. So the larger the gm the better.

In triode region (I think you were referring to that noise equation, but then you should replace gm with the output conductance gdo) the idea is similar since the larger the gm the smaller the RON and therefore (as in any resistor) the smaller the thermal noise.

Hope this helps
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2009, 9:46pm

hi,
   it depends on how transistor is being used.lets consider common source amp with diode convected load,here main transistor will be giving directly input referred voltage so for this high gm required where are load device is dumping noise current into main transistor so it gm should be as low as possible.Like this we have to analyse for every ckt that whether Transistor is dumping current or directly giving input referred voltage noise.
Thanks,
Rajasekhar.  

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Asmodeus

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2009, 2:40am

use large gm for input transistor and small gm for current loads !!

Don't see thing keeping in view output noise. See things through input referred noise. As gain will increase both noise n input by same amount.
It is the very reason to use the term "input referred noise".  :)

~VJ~
View Profile Asmodeus   IP Logged
yvkrishna

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2009, 10:41am

Thanks for the replies. Now I got some idea of how to take care of noise while designing.

Thanks
vamshi

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.