The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 7:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Voltage Controled Current Source (Read 2367 times)
XY-oriented

Voltage Controled Current Source
Apr 29th, 2009, 6:58am

hi all,
does any one has a circuit idea of how to realize a voltage controlled current source?
the obvious solution is to use a resistor and an op amp in feedback but then I have 20% variation (actually more with the process I am using) witch is very high.

in principle I can give up linearity for a more process independent current source ...

maybe some simple self calibration ideas ?

any comment would be helpful Cry

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Voltage Controled Current Source
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2009, 8:12am

hi XY-oriented,
                         i think if use source degenerated mosfet with good loop gain(gm*r),it wont change much process i am sure i will be lees than an op amp.try this different corners

Thanks,
Rajasekahr.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
ndnger

Los Angeles
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2009, 9:53pm

Can you use a differential pair with a BG referenced tail current source. Now, connect the drain(collector) of one side to supply and use the output from the drain(collector) of the other side as your VCCS.

You will have to bias one side of the differential pair to a constant (BG referenced voltage like a BG current flowing through a resistor). The other side of the diff pair will be controlled by Vctrl.

In order to lower the output current Vs vctrl slope, use degeneration resistors. The knee voltage of the current source will be Vctrl minus one overdrive voltage for MOSFETs. So, you should minimize the fixed bias voltage applied to the left side of the diff pair (/w o/p taken from right side).

cheers!  

View Profile WWW ndnger nitinx_in   IP Logged
XY-oriented

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2009, 9:34am

Rajasekahr and ndnger , Thank you for your comment and suggestions.

ndager idea seems to give nice simulation results ...

cheers!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.