The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 7:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
area efficient high resistance implementation (Read 4022 times)
manodipan
Community Member

area efficient high resistance implementation
Apr 30th, 2009, 4:57am

Hi guys,
I want an area efficient very high resistance(~ 4-5 MOhms) ,also the resiatnce is required to be controllable as i am using this to control the current source......off transistors can implement high resistance but process variation effect is very high...so can you suggest some literatures on that.....thank you..

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: area efficient high resistance implementation
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2009, 5:40am

I think this and your previous post are in the wrong forum, since they're design questions. Perhaps Ken can move them...

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2009, 7:17pm

Have you thought of using a MOS with long L in triode mode. There are a lot of techniques for controlling the on resistance of such device (for example to make it linear over a large dynamic range).

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2009, 11:35pm

manodipan wrote on Apr 30th, 2009, 4:57am:
Hi guys,
I want an area efficient very high resistance(~ 4-5 MOhms) ,also the resiatnce is required to be controllable as i am using this to control the current source......off transistors can implement high resistance but process variation effect is very high...so can you suggest some literatures on that.....thank you..

Hi,

No matter how you realize an on-chip resistance, the process variation will be quite high as long as there is no external precise reference available. You have to live with atleast +/- 20-30% variation in most cases. Else, you must consider trimming.

For realizing high resistance, you can use a narrow MOS transistor.

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
ndnger

Los Angeles
Reply #4 - May 11th, 2009, 2:03am

Try to change your circuit architecture so that you can rely on the matching of identical MOS to cancel the variation, ie, circuit becomes ratio dependent.

View Profile WWW ndnger nitinx_in   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2009, 2:41pm

if you are using the resistance to define a current source valuation (as sort of stated in your original post) you may want to consider geometry scaling or ratio driven design.

How about some more details on what you are trying to do? (you may not need that resistor at all)

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.