The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 3:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gain step control (Read 3148 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Gain step control
May 07th, 2009, 8:28am

Hi all,

I want to design a variable-gain common-source amplifier with a resistive load. The gain step should be of discrete values (6 dB for example), and the gain should be controllable by the bias voltage of the amplifier. Rather than inputting a reference signal into a matched amplifier and recording the gain step, is there a way to set the gain?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Gain step control
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2009, 8:35am

aaron_do wrote on May 7th, 2009, 8:28am:
Rather than inputting a reference signal into a matched amplifier and recording the gain step
What do you mean ?

Your VGA is single-ended or differential ?
What value of dynamic range for VGA do you require ?
What value of "dB_per_step" do you require for VGA ?
What accracy do you require for DR and "dB_per_step" ?

For example, DR(Dynamic Range)=15dB, 15steps, "dB_per_step"=1dB/step

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2009, 9:33am

Hi pancho_hideboo,

at the moment I'm just looking for conceptual ideas. Suppose for arguments sake however, that i would need a dynamic range of 24 dB with 6 dB steps. The VGA would be differential. It actually occurred to me that I can use a peak detector to detect the gain change, but i'm still kind of playing the idea around in my head. The actual situation is somewhat more complicated than what I described.

Most of the AGCs I've seen change a control voltage until the output level is within certain limits. My goal however is to change the control voltage until the gain drops by a desired amount (for example6dB).

I'm merely curious about whether it can be done without the use of a peak detector.

Quote:
What do you mean ?

The first idea that came to me was to design a matched amplifier and inject a reference signal into the amplifier. Then compare the input and output to get the gain you want. However, the absolute value of the gain is not that important to me, so the method I described above (peak detector) is probably better...

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - May 7th, 2009, 9:42am

aaron_do wrote on May 7th, 2009, 9:33am:
a dynamic range of 24 dB with 6 dB steps.
DR=24dB, Steps=4, Resolution=6dB/step ?

aaron_do wrote on May 7th, 2009, 9:33am:
The first idea that came to me was to design a matched amplifier and inject a reference signal into the amplifier.
Then compare the input and output to get the gain you want.
You mean a replica amplifier for reference of gain cotrolling which could be small in sizes and currents by scaling ?

Xamp architecture of ADI(Analog Devices Inc) might be helpful.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2009, 6:39pm

Quote:
You mean a replica amplifier for reference of gain cotrolling which could be small in sizes and currents by scaling ?

Yes

Quote:
Xamp architecture of ADI(Analog Devices Inc) might be helpful.

thanks. I'll have a look.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.