The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 11:34am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Analog or digital RSSI? (Read 1019 times)
Visjnoe

Analog or digital RSSI?
May 15th, 2009, 1:44am

Dear all,

In typical FSK receivers, there are 2 ways in implementing the RSSI function: in the analog domain or in the digital domain (after the ADC). In the analog domain this is mainly done by tapping off some limiter chain. In the digital domain, I^2+Q^2 is typically calculated.

What is the benefit of doing it in the digital domain? I can only think of scalability/robustness. Perhaps also you can still make use of DSP/channel filtering in the digital domain to further suppress interferers, thus avoiding their influence on the RSSI.

Any more reasons?

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
cmos_cowboy

Re: Analog or digital RSSI?
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2009, 3:54pm

Hi Peter,

One of the big factors is area. This obviously depends upon your IF frequency, as essentially what you are doing is rectifying and then lowpass filtering. In the analog domain the lowpass can be quite large, and on some chips this was/is done with an external cap (hence costing a pin).

You must also consider what the RSSI signal is used for.
If it is used to control a analogue AGC, to switch in/out an amount of gain or to just to record the signal strength.

What accuracy is required? absolute and relative? will it need calibrating?

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Matt.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2009, 4:41pm

Analog RSSI (using a log amp)  is generally done when you have a wide dynamic range of the signal that is beyond the resolution of the ADC.

For example - a receiver with 96db of dynamic range, has got a lot of freedom in the switching of analog gain stages to get the ADC properly fed.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ndnger

Los Angeles
Reply #3 - May 19th, 2009, 1:01am

An RF RSSI is required to set the LNA gain without which the mixer can get saturated.

View Profile WWW ndnger nitinx_in   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.