The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 2:37am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
current source definition (Read 2460 times)
kanan

current source definition
May 19th, 2009, 1:10am

Hi,

how to define a current source that does not drive an output node voltage above vdd?
i.e. I have a definition like: isource #(.dc(10u)) i0 (vdd,n1);

n1 is connected to the rest of circuit (basically set of switches and resistors). Now it so happens, that at certain conditions (switch turned on), current is drawn from the source and voltage at n1 begins to rise. However, once it rises to vdd, ideally no more current should be supplied.. but I observe that the node voltage continues to climb (current is continuosly supplied) What is way to prevent this? Is there something I can change in the manner in which the current source is defined?

thanks
K

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: current source definition
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2009, 5:09am

I think there are a few postings on this forum about a current source with "limiting" or "output limiting" to do this.  It's a little tricky to make sure the i vs v characteristic is continuous and smooth enough not to cause convergence problems.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: current source definition
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2009, 7:06am

Take a look at the "Current limited voltage regulator" on the Verilog-AMS page.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.