The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 5:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bandpass ADC for low-IF receiver (Read 3311 times)
Visjnoe

Bandpass ADC for low-IF receiver
May 22nd, 2009, 10:15am

I have been looking into architectures for low-IF receivers. Some of them use a bandpass (sigma-delta) ADC before entering the modem. Subsequently, the signal is down-converted to DC digitally.

I have been wondering what would be the disadvantage of preceding the ADC with a second (analog) down-conversion mixer (down-conversion from IF to DC), thus allowing a low-pass (sigma-delta) ADC instead of a bandpass (sigma-delta) ADC. The mixer could be passive (linear). I would think this could also reduce Fs of the ADC and thus the power consumption?

Any insights/comments are welcome.

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Bandpass ADC for low-IF receiver
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2009, 3:17am

Hi Peter,

I have not looked into bandpass ADCs in detail but a couple of points come to my mind:

1. The sampling rate for a bandpass ADC also does not need to be as high as you probably imagine. In principle, this also needs to be just oversampling ratio * signal bandwidth of interest. On the surface, I would imagine that a discrete-time bandpass modulator would not require the clock to be comparable to the IF in narrowband systems.

2. You can of course perform a downconversion with an analog mixer but of course, this requires a good, precise mixer, and also some way to remove images etc. which may be easier and cheaper to do in the digital domain as would be possible with a bandpass modulator.

I think ultimately it is probably due to other factors: (a) the desire to make an alternative system based on a bandpass modulator (you can publish more papers like this), (b) potentially higher amount of flexibility in the receive chain due to the digitization occuring closer to the antenna, (c) potential for reducing cost of the receiver chip etc.

I think that you would find good information in a textbook dealing with delta-sigma modulators (Schreier & Temes - Understanding Delta-Sigma Converters) or in a reference dealing with radio receiver architectures.

Best regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2009, 4:13am

Hi all,

this is a paper recommended by another member

Quote:
See paper on ZigBee Transceiver which is zero-IF architecture by ADI in ISSCC-2009.

[24.4] "A Highly Integrated Low-Power 2.4GHz Transceiver Using a Direct-Conversion Diversity Receiver in 0.18um CMOS for IEEE802.15.4 WPAN"
G.Retz1, H.Shanan1, K.Mulvaney1, S.O'Mahony1, M.Chanca2, P.Crowley3, C.Billon1, K.Khan1, P.Quinlan1
1Analog Devices, Cork, Ireland; 2Analog Devices, Valencia, Spain; 3Analog Devices, Limerick, Ireland

I personally haven't read the paper as it hasn't yet been uploaded to IEEE xplore but if you can get your hands on it, I think it is very relevant (not actually low-IF but does use sigma delta).

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
currant

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2009, 6:17am

Hi, Peter.

I think tne main problem of Zero-IF receiver is DC offset, and   LO leakage to IF-signal, that  produces variable in time DC offset.

Also if we work with not-AM (FM, PM) modulated signal, we need to keep both spectrum side of career, so we need separate signal into analog  I and Q chanels (two mixers with their mismatches). Digital demodulation is superior than analog in this case.
 We may convert IF-signal into digital form and then demodulate it (signal) with digital blocks.
   As I understand, we may use  Nyquist-rate ADC, but  bandpass sigma-delta is more power and size effective.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.