The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 3:43pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Duty cycle of reference/divider clocks in PLL (Read 4989 times)
boa

Duty cycle of reference/divider clocks in PLL
Jun 03rd, 2009, 5:08am

Hi all,

From what I see in different PLL designs, typical N-divider output clock (as well as reference clock in case it's divided in R counter from quarz) has a duty cycle of approx. 20-25%. What's the idea behind it?

The only thing that comes to my mind is that the spectrum differences when compared to 50% duty cycle, maybe this helps against unwanted mixing, i.e. via substrate leakage etc. But when I look at FFTs of clocks with 20% and 50% dyty cycles, that does not look so straightforward to me..

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Duty cycle of reference/divider clocks in PLL
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2009, 6:56am

I don't see any good reason to do anything but 50% duty cycle, and thats what all of my PLL's have used.

Smaller duty cycle will raise some of the higher frequency harmonics, and thats only going to make noise/coupling issues worse.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
salty

Austin, Tx
Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2009, 3:55pm

Usually 50% duty cycle is attained by wide synchronous counters.  Faster counters can be obtained by ripple counters.  Since the PFD (In charge pump plls) usually work on the edges, the duty cycle is not as important.

View Profile   IP Logged
boa

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2009, 4:30am

Thanks!
I agree, I also could not find any specific reason for anything but 50% duty cycle.

View Profile   IP Logged
oermens
Community Member

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2010, 7:49am

Sorry to revive such an old topic but I am wondering about this myself. I am working with verilog-a models logic blocks (from cadence IC bmsLib) before going to circuit level design, and I noticed that the output of an integer-n divider is very short pulses but they have the correct frequency. What are typical methods to obtain 50% duty cycle from the divider? I was thinking to design the divider to output 2fref then feed that into a Master-Slave divide by 2 to get fref with 50% duty cycle. Are there other/better ways?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2010, 6:20pm

divide by 2 is the most common - always use that in PLL that gets used as a mixer downconvert

going off just one edge in other devices is still good there will be some subtle duty cycle variance because of the difference in Trise vs. Tfall

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.