The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:28pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Delta-Sigma Modulator, Feedforward or Feedback?? (Read 6120 times)
OpAmp

Delta-Sigma Modulator, Feedforward or Feedback??
Jun 05th, 2009, 8:26am

I was wondering if anybody can introduce me a document comparing the feedback and feedforward structures of delta sigma modulators?
I have read the following two books (Delta-Sigma Data Converters by Norsworthy et al and Understanding Delta-Sigma Data Converters by Schreier and Temes) regarding this topic and couldn’t find the pros and cons of the two structures. For higher order delta-sigma DACs, I usually see feedforward structure is used, but I don’t quite understand why!!!
You comments are really appreciated.

OpAmp Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Re: Delta-Sigma Modulator, Feedforward or Feedback??
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2009, 3:37am

Hi,

I try to give you a brief overview:

Advantages of Feedforward compared to Feedback: Lower signal swing at the output of the integrators (beneficial for amplifier design), larger first loop filter coefficient (better noise suppression than feedback structure), single DAC only, and depending on the implementation the feedforward structure might recover from instability without additional circuitry.

Disadvantages: The summing node in front of the quantizer.

In general I think that the lower signal swing is the main motivation why feedforward structures are preferred nowadays.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
Sumit Adhikari
Community Member

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2009, 1:08am

Both of them has completely different usage as per as frequency domain is considered.
in feedback topology you introduce conjugate zeros in your transfer function as a result a low pass
transfer function (say in feedforward SDM) changes itself into a bandpass (feedback)
transfer function.
Lower or higher signal swing is an architectural design issue and has nothing to do
with topology. The usage of the input signal swing is decided by the choice of coefficients.
Please go through book "Data Converters" by Franco Maloberti
Regards,
Sumit

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2009, 6:20am by Sumit Adhikari »  
View Profile   IP Logged
boa

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2009, 7:21am

Sumit,

I believe you misunderstood the question: the discussion here is about 2 different architectures  (feedback or feedforward) of SDM with low-pass NTF. Bandpass SDM is completely a different story..

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2009, 10:47pm

Yep Boa.

Sumit, read the paper following paper: J.Silva et al., "Wideband low-distortion delta-sigma ADC topology", Electronics Letters.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2009, 3:00am

Berti wrote on Aug 18th, 2009, 10:47pm:
Yep Boa.

Sumit, read the paper following paper: J.Silva et al., "Wideband low-distortion delta-sigma ADC topology", Electronics Letters.

Cheers

Ah! but that is an Electronics Letters paper, a fat chance that anyone has a subscription to that one. So get it from the source directly:

http://web.engr.oregonstate.edu/~moon/research/files/el_jun07_01.pdf

Best regards,

Vivek

P.S.: There is also a lot of other useful stuff on this page. Just look around.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.