The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 4:35pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OPAMP-Integrators - interesting observations (Read 3206 times)
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
OPAMP-Integrators - interesting observations
Jun 10th, 2009, 1:53pm

Back to basics:

Hello to all,

I have made an observation and I wonder if a desription of this   effect can be found in the literature:

If the classical Miller integrator stage is fed with a sinusoidal amplitude which drives the output into saturation, the output voltage is - of course - a "clipped" wave. However, the phase shift is LESS than +90 deg. - depending on the degree of clipping. Perhaps itīs something which is similar to the effect of "wind-up" in control systems.
But this works only if the saturation effect takes place inside the integration opamp. It does not happen if signal clipping occurs after integration.

I think, I am able to explain the effect, however, I ask myself how to predict/calculate this effect and - more than that - why nobody has reported about that up to now.  Or am I wrong ?
Regards
LvW

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: OPAMP-Integrators - interesting observations
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2009, 11:41pm

Hi Lutz,

First of all, a clipping integrator is a nonlinear system and so I would be a bit careful defining phase in the same way as for linear systems. That being said, a clipping integrator is somehow like a lossy integrator, since the opamp input will no longer be a true virtual ground anymore and so some charge is now being lost and not ending up on the integrating cap. The finite gain of an opamp also causes it to be lossy and keeps the phase at slightly less than 90 degrees. A clamping opamp is like a very low-gain or even a no-gain opamp.

And a lossy integrator has a phase shift less than +90 degrees. On the other hand, if you were to place a clipping element after an ideal integrator, then the original integration was still correct (with a phase shift of 90 degrees).

Does that help answer the question?

Regards,

Vivek

P.S.: There are many things that one may not find in the literature. They may be there but in some obscure corner, or no one may have bothered to think about them.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: OPAMP-Integrators - interesting observations
Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2009, 1:29am

Thank you, VIVEK, for your kind reply.

I know, that clipping is a non-linear effect - nevertheless, I think one can compare the clipped output signal with an ideal one and define a phase difference between both. Perhaps its more accurate not to speak about a phase shift but rather a time shift.

But pay attention: I have made a (nearly) catastrophic typing error regarding the sign of the additional phase shift.
It is not negative - that means the total phase is not LESS than +90 deg, rather it is positive and the total phase is e.g. +90.5 or 91 deg.
That means the time shift is larger than 1/4 of the period.

Some remarks regarding the importance of this observation:
The very well known two-integrator oscillator (without any additional amplitude regulation) is able to oscillate at a frequency which leads to a phase shift of each (real) inverting opamp integrator of less than +90 deg. That is a fact ! Does this mean the loop gain of the oscillator is less than 360 deg ? The only explanation is that this neg. phase error is compensated by the positive "error" caused by signal clipping.
I have checked this by simulation with the result that clipping gets larger for higher frequencies (larger neg. phase errors).

Question: Do you have any other explanation for the fact that stable oscillations of this circuit are possible without any additional circuitry ?  Itīs interesting, all authors describing this oscillator (without an external regulation mechanism) suppress any comments regarding the amplitude and the quality of the output signal.
More than that - nobody even explains WHY the circuit oscillates at one frequency only ! Remember: The loop gain for frequencies below 1/RC also is real and above unity! Why does the circuit exhibit no oscillations at lower freqiencies and goes into saturation ?
I think, only the above mentioned observation gives the answer.

I am very interested to get your comments.
Regards
Lutz  

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.